This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8895 / 55°53'22"N
Longitude: -4.3247 / 4°19'29"W
OS Eastings: 254706
OS Northings: 668700
OS Grid: NS547687
Mapcode National: GBR 048.DJ
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.J7TD
Entry Name: 24 Willoughby Drive, 778-792 and 800-812 (Even Nos) Crow Road, 1571-1627 (Odd Nos) Great Western Road and 53-57 (Odd Nos) Ancaster Drive, Anniesland Mansions Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 10 November 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397826
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50011
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Victoria Park
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably by H Campbell, 1907-13. Large 4-storey Free Style tenement block with long frontages to Great Western Road and Crow Road, predominantly shops to ground floor. Red sandstone ashlar to street elevations. Continous cill course to 1st floor and parapet. Broken cill courses and string courses to other floors. Canted bay windows, predominantly 4-light, paired balustraded balconies to 2nd floor, tall stacks, cast-iron railings to parapet. Domed 3-bay bowed end to 2nd, 3rd and attic floors at junction with Great Western Road and Crow Road. Bays articulated by Ionic columns with gabled keystoned oculi above. Dome surmounted by lantern.
N (GREAT WESTERN ROAD) ELEVATION: pair of polished granite columns support consoled and corniced near-central bowed entrance (now Butcher's shop) with lettering, 'ANNIESLAND MANSIONS'. Bowed storeys to junction with Crow Road has lettering between 2nd and 3rd floors, 'ANNIESLAND 19.M.H.10 MANSIONS'.
Some plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns, some modern windows. Grey slates to dome. Large stacks with vertical band courses rise from 1st floors and break eaves.
INTERIOR: part seen (2004). Tiled hallways and stairwells. Some painted glass windows remain in stairwells.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coursed red sandstone walls to Willoughby Drive, Crow Road and Ancaster Drive enclose small front gardens.
A large and impressive streetscape component of Anniesland Cross, this block of tenements and shops falls narrowly short of continuing around a whole block. It is a good example of the mansion flats which were in vogue from the 1890s following precedents in London. The longest frontage is to Great Western Road, with those to Crow Road, Ancaster Drive and Willoughby Drive forming shorter expanses respectively. The building is well-detailed and continues the distinctive early 20th century Glasgow practice of building tenements using Free Style detailing. Most of the shop fronts have been altered to some extent, although the Dunfermline Building Society at 1627 Great Western Road appears to be largely intact. The domed and bowed NW end is of architectural note and is a landmark for the Anniesland area. Buildings of Scotland writes that the granite columned portico leads to Anniesland Hall, a mission hall with a hammerbeam roof on cast-iron columns. This hall is no longer extant. The current Anniesland Hall is a late 20th century red brick building, now no longer entered from Great Western Road but Crow Road.
Some of the original painted glass stairwell windows survive as do the tiled hallways. Anniesland Mansions appears part-built with Anniesland Hall on the 1908-11 Ordnance Survey map with a small section of the building to Great Western Road completed and in its entirety on the 1933-6 map.
Other nearby listed buildings