History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchincruive Estate, Dairy Research Department

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4782 / 55°28'41"N

Longitude: -4.5597 / 4°33'34"W

OS Eastings: 238327

OS Northings: 623465

OS Grid: NS383234

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WVZK

Mapcode Global: WH3QV.XKXP

Entry Name: Auchincruive Estate, Dairy Research Department

Listing Date: 12 November 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397840

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50014

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kyle

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Annbank Station

Description

Alex Mair, circa 1931; extension to rear Cowie Torry & Partners, 1986. Symmetrical 2-storey piend-roofed classical-style block; central advanced entrance bay with projecting corniced doorpiece (inscribed tablet); flanking bays of 2 sets of paired windows, those to 1st floor smaller. 3-bay gables. Red brick base course; red tiled cills; broad overhanging eaves, mutuled to entrance bay. Rendered.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 8 bays with flanking outer bays, that to R single storey wing with blind arch. Elevated single storey long extension to L with brick course, regular fenestration and piended slate roof with broad eaves.

Metal small-pane casement windows. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers. Grey graded slates.

INTERIOR: not seen (2004).

Statement of Interest

A Group with Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). Auchincruive estate was in the hands of the Wallace family in the 13th century and a variety of owners followed. In the 18th century James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant. Around 1764 Robert Adam was commissioned to build a new house and associated buildings for Oswald. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925 when it was sold to John M Hannah, a local farmer. Hannah gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains today (2004). The Dairy Research Department, adjacent Dairy School and the Apiary were all designed by Alex Mair in restrained classical mode. The Dairy School processed milk from the herd of Ayrshire cows into cheese and together with the Research Department contained laboratories, testing, processing and lecture rooms.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.