History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 Cadder Road

A Category C Listed Building in Bishopbriggs, East Dunbartonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9208 / 55°55'14"N

Longitude: -4.2116 / 4°12'41"W

OS Eastings: 261891

OS Northings: 671958

OS Grid: NS618719

Mapcode National: GBR 11.ZV52

Mapcode Global: WH4Q1.8FQW

Entry Name: 2 Cadder Road

Listing Date: 18 November 2004

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397841

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50015

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Bishopbriggs

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Bishopbriggs

Description

David Hamilton, early 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular plan cottage, former gatelodge to the Cawder Estate (see separate listings). Prominent gabled front; large, triple-shafted chimney stack. Droved and stugged, heavily pointed sandstone rubble. Raised ashlar dressings to openings, some with double-splay reveals; long and short rubble work around openings. Ashlar, stop-chamfered strip quoins. Splayed ashlar base course; raised strip eaves course; overhanging timber eaves with carved timber brackets and bargeboards; single hoodmoulds to openings to S.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 bays. Central, projecting gabled bay with large, rectangular, stone mullioned and transomed window. Entrance porch to right. Single opening to left.

W ELEVATION: 2 bays; gable end to right with sloping roof extension, slightly set back to left. Blind, ashlar-infilled opening to gable; plain window to extention.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays to original lodge, obscured by later 19th century, 4-bay, low single storey, lean-to extension with taller, single bay extension to right. Advanced, curved eaves course to both extensions, forming lintels at openings. 2 doorways to centre with windows to far left and right (doorway to right blocked with concrete block infill). 4-bay extension meets lodge below eaves; right extension projects directly from lodge eaves. Square window to right extension; blocked with concrete block infill. Entrance porch set back to left; blocked doorway with concrete block infill.

E ELEVATION: advanced gable of entrance porch to 2nd bay with 2 tall, narrow strip windows. Side of sloping roofed extension to far right. Blocked window to 4th bay, raised surround with concrete block infill.

INTERIOR: access not obtained, 2004.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, some modern 20th century replacements to rear. Later 20th century doors. Pitched roof; late 20th century concrete tiles. Tall, triple-shafted octagonal stacks to ridge on ashlar plinth, classically moulded, octagonal coping stones, clay cans missing.

Statement of Interest

A-group listing, also including Cawder House, Cawder Stables, Cawder Dovecot, Cawder Bridge, Cawder Lodge and Cawder Ice-house. 2 Cadder Road is a well preserved example of an estate lodge designed and built in the late 1810s on the Cawder estate, during a period of expansion and improvement under the supervision of Charles Stirling (owner and benefactor of Cawder House). The architect chosen to renovate and extend Cawder Estate was David Hamilton. Hamilton was one of Scotland's most prolific and popular architects of the time, his major works including the Royal Exchange in Glasgow (1827-1832), Hamilton Palace (now demolished) and Hutcheson's Hospital (1802-1805). Charles Stirling was an enthusiastic patron of his work, and prior to taking ownership of Cawder, Stirling had commissioned Hamilton to build his previous mansion, Kenmure House (now demolished, on the site of Bishopbriggs Golf Club to the SW of Cawder). Hamilton then executed the Cawder Estate improvements between 1813 and 1815, before returning to Cadder again in 1825 to build Cadder Parish Church. 2 Cadder Road is comparable to Cawder Gatelodge (see separate listing), also built by Hamilton during his estate improvements. Both the lodges are of similar style and quality, with the detailing of the window surrounds and eaves brackets being identical in places, demonstrating a standard estate style. This lodge uses rubble rather than ashlar as the principal building material. The dominant feature of this lodge is the large chimney stack which is of ashlar and may have been visible from the surrounding roads, acting as a marker from the main approach to Cawder and the village of Cadder. Today the lodge sits on the corner of the main road into Bishopbriggs and Cadder Road, at the entrance of the picturesque approach to Cawder House, crossing the Forth and Clyde Canal (SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT) at the end of the estate driveway. The village of Cadder has been consumed within the expansion of Bishopbriggs, once a neighbouring village. The mixed usage of the name Cawder and Cadder to describe the house, village and estate can be a source of some confusion. In the ancient maps of Richardson and Forrest, the parish is marked as 'Cadder' (the parish being one of the original 365 designated parishes), whilst the House and estate are marked as 'Calder'. The use of 'Calder' has since disappeared, and until the early 20th century the estate, village and parish were all referred to as Cadder. The use of the name Cawder was adopted by the golf club and this has since become the most common name for the House and its related estate, whilst the village and parish have continued to be called Cadder. These changes in name and spelling have been put down to gradual changes in dialect and pronunciation through time.

2 Cadder Road lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.