This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.2712 / 57°16'16"N
Longitude: -4.3847 / 4°23'4"W
OS Eastings: 256301
OS Northings: 822580
OS Grid: NH563225
Mapcode National: GBR H9KH.L8D
Mapcode Global: WH3G7.MH8N
Entry Name: Errogie, Former United Free Church Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 2 December 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397863
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50029
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Former United Free church, presumably built early 1900s (the UF Church was formed by the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900), and disused since 1987 (Campbell 2000, appendix No 12).
Standard pattern prefabricated timber-framed and corrugated-iron clad church made by Spiers & Co. Glasgow (whose nameplate it bears), one of a number transported in the later part of the 19th - early 20th century to places throughout much of the Highlands, but few of which survive more-or-less intact.
Rectangular-plan building set on a masonry plinth, (southeast-facing) entrance gable to the road, its site and that of the adjacent manse are bounded to the roadside by harled rubble walls with rough-dressed curved coping stones; circular and domed gatepiers also harled. Standard features include vestry wing projecting at northeast corner, timber belt course, door and window bands and gablehead detailing; windows shallow-arched externally with top hoppers, 3-light and set high up, polygonal gable-head window above pulpit, axial ventilator. A porch, presumably the minister's entrance, for it faces the manse, abuts the vestry. The 2-leaf main door has decorative hinges. Cream painted cladding, timber painted green. Interior v-lined and largely stripped of original church furnishings (2004).
The church is not depicted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1903) but was presumably built soon after. It is a typical example of the many corrugated iron churches which were erected in the 19th and early 20th centuries but which are now becoming increasingly rare.Prefabricated corrugated iron structures were popular because they were relatively cheap to buy, easily transported, and quick and simple to erect which dispensed with the need for skilled labour and specialist tools. The setting of the church is important, for it sits near to Stratherrick Free Church, illustrating the development of the Church.