History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

121 High Street, Argyle House

A Category B Listed Building in Annan, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9872 / 54°59'13"N

Longitude: -3.2592 / 3°15'33"W

OS Eastings: 319520

OS Northings: 566571

OS Grid: NY195665

Mapcode National: GBR 5BPS.50

Mapcode Global: WH6Y6.XX53

Entry Name: 121 High Street, Argyle House

Listing Date: 14 December 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397867

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50032

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Annan

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Annandale South

Traditional County: Dumfriesshire

Find accommodation in
Annan

Description

Alexander Tweedie (but see Notes), 1908. 3-bay, 2-Storey and attic free Renaissance style shop on corner site with curved corner, lead-domed turret rising from 1st floor, glazed shop front to High Street, and pedimented dormers. Polished red sandstone with polished pink granite base course and margins to shop. Fascia with small cornice below and deep cornice above; corniced cill course; deep, blocked eaves cornice; discontinuous parapet between dormers with corniced cope; deep eaves cornice with paired brackets to turret. Tripartite windows to 1st floor with roll-moulded stone mullions and architraves; cornices above with bracketed pediments over central lights. Bipartite dormers with finialed segmental pediments.

NORTH (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: curved central entrance with recessed glazed timber door; scrolled open pediment above; mosaic floor to entrance with Greek Key border, ARGYLE HOUSE in curved letters and thistle motif. Timber and plate glass shop front at ground; 2 tripartite windows at 1st floor; 2 dormers to attic. Circular turret rising from 1st floor at corner, corbelled to octagonal at 2nd floor; tripartite window at 1st floor with ARGYLE HOUSE in painted letters above; square windows with projecting cills to 2nd floor.

WEST (MURRAY STREET) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door at ground to right; window to centre. Tripartite and single corniced window to 1st floor; bipartite dormer at attic to left; single dormer with triangular pediment to right.

Plate glass in timber casements with small-pane glazing in fixed lights above. Corniced stacks rising from S and E elevations. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

Statement of Interest

Located on prominent corner site at junction with Murray street. Built as a drapers shop in 1908 for J E McClean. The Dean of Guild drawings show that the building hardly changed externally since it was built: only the shop door is slightly different, and the dome has lost its finial. It is very much in the style of FJ Carruthers who built several other buildings in Annan; in particular, the Corner House Hotel has very similar detailing. SCRAN gives the architect as Alexander Tweedie. Nothing is written about this architect, but there was an architect called James Irving Tweedie (born 1881) who had just started practising in Annan at this time and had been articled to F J Carruthers between 1897 and 1902 (Corner House Hotel was built in 1900). Alexander Tweedie may have been a brother of James, but it seems more likely that the name has been copied wrongly and that this is actually an early work of James Irving Tweedie.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.