History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tillicoultry, Moss Road, Devonvale Hall, Including Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Tillicoultry, Clackmannanshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1507 / 56°9'2"N

Longitude: -3.7384 / 3°44'18"W

OS Eastings: 292102

OS Northings: 696699

OS Grid: NS921966

Mapcode National: GBR 1M.JD3S

Mapcode Global: WH5Q7.KN0M

Entry Name: Tillicoultry, Moss Road, Devonvale Hall, Including Gatepiers

Listing Date: 16 December 2004

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397871

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50034

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Tillicoultry

County: Clackmannanshire

Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire North

Traditional County: Clackmannanshire

Find accommodation in
Tillicoultry

Description

Arthur Bracewell, 1938-1940. 2-storey, T-plan, Art Deco hall. Coursed cream coloured concrete blockwork, partial brick facing, partial render to front; render to sides and rear; chamfered concrete margins; vertical coursed concrete banded bays to upper stair towers; concrete cills; red roof tiles. Cantilevered concrete bowed canopy with stepped parapet to advanced single storey entrance block; central plaque with applied decorative butterflies, stylised raised lettering and date: 'DEVONVALE / 19 HALL 38'. Concrete eaves course and moulded cornice to entrance block.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 7 bays (arranged 3-1-3). Central recessed entrance, bow-fronted steps rising to 3 double figured-timber and glazed doors, flanking horizontal brick banding, bronze plaque commemorating foundation stone to right, bowed metal and glass canopy with stepped parapet above. Advanced single storey, 3-bay sections (former cloakrooms) flanking entrance. Upper storey set back, wide central wall-head with horizontal banding and central plaque, flanked by slightly advanced piended single bay stair towers.

S ELEVATION: 7 bays. Double-height hall with small window (to stair) to left and 3 large windows to centre (that to middle margin-paned with circular motif to upper section) set behind single storey brick and concrete entrance block to far left; lower single storey 4- bay section further advanced to centre with plain metal railings to balcony above. Later access ramp to right. Advanced single storey lavatory block to far right. E (REAR) ELEVATION: central stair tower and chimney stack, narrow horizontal windows directly below wallhead.

N ELEVATION: similar to S elevation.

INTERIOR: entrance hall: terrazzo flooring with blue, black and green geometric Art Deco pattern, moulded oak chimney piece with electric fire surround; narrow transomed and mullioned lights to chequered terrazzo staircases with bent mahogany handrails leading to balcony to N and S of entrance hall. Main hall: massive banded and stuccoed dome to ceiling; balcony to W of hall, coffered ceiling under balcony; stage with moulded and stepped detailing to E. Kitchen and bar facilities flanking hall to either side. Teak hall floor and stage. Pilastered and moulded wood architraves to doors and principal windows. Original light fittings and ironmongery, extensive wooden mouldings and cornicing throughout. Copper hooded radiators.

Statement of Interest

Devonvale Hall is a good, little-altered example of a 1930s entertainment building which evidences many fine Art Deco and Neo-Georgian details. The building also holds an important association with the cultural and industrial history of the local area, forming part of a wider plan to provide employees of the Devonvale Mills a high standard of living with well-designed houses, sports and leisure facilities, shop units and even bus shelters. Arthur Bracewell (1891-1953) was brought to Tillicoultry from England in 1925, by the Salts of Saltaire, then owners of Middleton and Devonpark Mills. He was hired by the benevolent managing director, Sidney Platfoot, of Samuel Jones and Co Ltd, a paper-coating firm, which took over the premises of Devonvale Mill, a former tweed manufacture (1846-1920). Platfoot was committed to providing good housing and leisure facilities for his workforce. These included tennis (demolished) and bowling pavilions and well-designed interwar housing for workers and managers along Moss Road (from 1934). The company's symbol, the Camberwell Butterfly was used as a decorative motif on the main plaque.

Reinforced foundations consisting of concrete pads set approximately 10 feet under ground were necessary as this building is set on a former moss field. Excellent acoustics are provided by the large dome.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.