This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6077 / 55°36'27"N
Longitude: -4.3221 / 4°19'19"W
OS Eastings: 253820
OS Northings: 637351
OS Grid: NS538373
Mapcode National: GBR 3P.MNLJ
Mapcode Global: WH3QD.L92W
Entry Name: Newmilns, 123 Main Street, the Morton Hall with Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 23 December 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397875
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50036
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Irvine Valley
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Arthur Harrison, 1896. Single storey, 6-bay, roughly rectangular-plan, gabled Jacobethan-style public hall with lower 2-bay section to side, advanced gabled porch, 2 crowstep-gabled windows, copper vent to roof and mid-20th century flat-roofed brick addition to rear. Red Ballochmyle sandstone ashlar. Base course, cill course, eaves course. Buttresses dividing bays to front and rear; transomed, mullioned bipartite windows with arched lights in moulded rectangular margins.
SOUTH (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: crowstep-gabled porch advanced to left: 2-leaf timber panelled door with 3-light fanlight; tablet above inscribed THE MORTON HALL in raised letters; Jacobethan style pilastered architrave supporting armorial device with scrolled pediment above; decorative side buttresses. Transomed, mullioned windows to right and 2 centre bays; slightly taller windows breaking eaves to inner left and right bays with crowstepped gables and shouldered side buttresses. Lower wing to right with timber panelled door and canted bay window breaking eaves.
EAST ELEVATION: shouldered stack to centre of wing with flanking transomed lights; small bipartite to gable apex of main building; brick addition to right.
NORTH (REAR) ELEVATION: 5 bays divided by buttresses; advanced gabled bay to right with bipartite window; flat-roofed extension in front.
WEST ELEVATION: end gable with bricked-up door in roll-moulded architrave to left. Predominantly square-pane leaded lights. Ashlar-coped skews with skewputts. Corniced stack with red clay cans. Graded grey slate with terracotta ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: trussed ceiling and timber stage to main hall; Jacobethan style chimneypiece to council room; timber panelled doors throughout.
BOUNDARY WALL: low coped sandstone boundary wall to South.
A well-detailed hall standing prominently on Main Street, and of great value to the streetscape. The building contains a large public hall with a stage, and several smaller rooms. It was donated to Newmilns by William Morton, a native of Newmilns who made his money in Birmingham. The hall is an unusual example of civic pride and generosity of a local nouveau riche; parallels can be drawn with the Carnegie libraries and halls that graced Scotland on a wider scale. Arthur Harrison (1862-1922) was a Birmingham-based architect whose other works included the council chambers in Birmingham. The building contractor for Morton Hall was Matthew Muir &Co of Kilmarnock.
Other nearby listed buildings