This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8647 / 55°51'53"N
Longitude: -4.8873 / 4°53'14"W
OS Eastings: 219418
OS Northings: 667274
OS Grid: NS194672
Mapcode National: GBR 30.3D0T
Mapcode Global: WH2MM.WVWD
Entry Name: Skelmorlie, 5 Eglinton Terrace, Wilmar, with Garden Steps, Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 7 January 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397877
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50037
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Keppie and Mackintosh, 1907-8; divided to form 3 flats, 1978. 2-storey, U-plan villa with advanced gables to outer bays of front elevation, central verandah/porch, former single storey and attic service wing to rear, deep eaves, bargeboarded gables and notable interior. Squared, snecked, stugged red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Moulded string courses to bay windows. Irregular fenestration with very plain window margins.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly off-centre round-arched, half-glazed timber panelled front door in roll-moulded architrave with alternating raised voussoirs; irregular fenestration to flanking bays, including triple hall window with leaded lights to right of door; raised timber verandah on stone base, with simple balustrade and red tile floor. Advanced coped gable advanced to right with 2-storey, 5-light canted bay window. Bargeboarded gable advanced to left with rectangular bay window at ground.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: open courtyard, irregularly fenestrated. Advanced gable to left. Recessed 2-bay central section with catslide roof over 3-light leaded staircase window. Long service wing advanced to right with some Veluxes and unsympathetic box-dormer to attic
N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: irregularly fenestrated. Half-glazed timber panelled door to S elevation.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows with 6-pane glazing to upper sashes and plate glass to lower sashes; some non-traditional uPVC windows. Coped sandstone stacks with red clay cans. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: (only interior of flat 1 seen ' see Notes). Wainscot timber panelling to entrance hall; small carved panels over doorways; red brick fireplace with semicircular brick fender and advanced panelled overmantle with decorative carving; carved initials to window mullions reading MR and WCR. Late 20th century staircase. Roll-moulded marble chimneypiece to former billiard room with Doric-pilastered timber overmantle and marble fender; timber picture rail; plain plaster cornice. Tudor-arched roll-moulded stone chimneypiece to drawing room with carved spandrels; compartmented ceiling. Built-in timber cupboards to bedroom. Timber panelled doors throughout with bronze latches and unusual roll-moulded doorframes.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GARDEN STEPS: coped red sandstone boundary wall; cylindrical gatepiers with flat caps. Sandstone garden steps to N of house.
Built for William Rankin, who was probably a ship owner, and his wife Margaret. The commission is mentioned in the Honeyman & Keppie Job book, which includes details of all the tradesmen that worked on the building. John Keppie had designed a few houses in Skelmorlie, during the mid 1880s, and John Honeyman (with whom Keppie was in partnership between 1889 and 1904) was the most prolific architect in the village. On stylistic grounds it seems more probable that this house was designed by Keppie rather than Mackintosh. Although the house is built along relatively standard lines for its date, it contains a wealth of good detailing, both inside and out. Some of this detailing is immediately apparent, for example the differently-styled gables on the principal elevation, and the use of bay windows to mark the principal rooms. However, it is the quirky attention to small details that really mark the quality of this house. Such details are too numerous to mention individually, but include the unusual treatment of the front door architrave, the way the corner brackets that support the roof of the verandah extend to meet each other across the entrance bay; the unusual treatment of the interior doorframes; and the use of slightly Art Nouveau door latches. The interior fixtures and fittings were supplied by Wylie and Lochhead, who were the leading firm of manufacturing house furnishers in Glasgow, and employed some of the best designers of the day. Only the interior of the south side of the house has been seen: however, it is understood that the principal features of the north flat also remain substantially intact, and include the original staircase, and an imposing fireplace in the former dining room. The former service wing has been modernised.
Other nearby listed buildings