This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8691 / 55°52'8"N
Longitude: -4.8876 / 4°53'15"W
OS Eastings: 219417
OS Northings: 667765
OS Grid: NS194677
Mapcode National: GBR GF96.9YF
Mapcode Global: WH2MM.WRQ0
Entry Name: Skelmorlie, 11a Montgomerie Terrace with Ancillary Building
Listing Date: 7 January 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397890
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50042
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: North Coast and Cumbraes
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1880. Single-storey and attic, roughly Y-plan former coach house, stable and cottage (now house) on sloping site with open courtyard to W (front) and projecting wing to centre of rear. Round 2-storey turret to W, glazed roof to courtyard, some decorative half-timbering, and crowstepped gables. Tooled, squared, snecked red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Upper floor slightly jettied out; eaves course to turret. Chamfered window margins with sloping cills.
W (PRINCIPAL) AND COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: gabled wing to left with bipartite stone-mullioned window at ground and later tripartite window to attic; half-timbering to courtyard elevation and 2 swept-roof dormers. Turret with finialed, conical roof advanced to right of gable; studded, timber-boarded front door in flat-roofed stone porch with curved corners slightly advanced to right of turret. Former coach house enclosing courtyard to right: single, swept-roof dormer to W elevation; carriage entrances to courtyard elevation.
REAR ELEVATIONS: irregularly fenestrated. Ground rises to E.
Small-pane glazing in predominantly casement windows; some sash and case windows at ground. Corniced wallhead stacks with some red clay cans. Graded grey slate with red terracotta ridge tiles.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: crowstep-gabled ancillary building to SE of house. Snecked red sandstone; window to W gable; 2 timber-boarded doors to N.
Formerly the coach house and stables for No 11 Montgomerie Terrace (originally called West Park). The size of this building indicates that it contained not only stabling, but domestic accommodation for a groom and probably a gardener or other outdoor servant(s) as well. With its round turret, half-timbered detailing, and swept dormers, this small building has a significant architectural merit. It was probably built by the architect of the main house. The glass roof over the courtyard is not original to the building, but is shown on the 3rd edition OS map (1911).
Other nearby listed buildings