This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5109 / 55°30'39"N
Longitude: -4.4821 / 4°28'55"W
OS Eastings: 243356
OS Northings: 626926
OS Grid: NS433269
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.TVJ0
Mapcode Global: WH3QQ.3RX4
Plus Code: 9C7QGG69+94
Entry Name: 20 James Street, Nethercroft
Listing Date: 26 January 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397918
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50057
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1804 with later additions to rear. 2-storey, 3-bay symmetrical gabled townhouse with outhouse to side. Roughcast render over sandstone with painted ashlar margins. Rubble base course; dentilled eaves course. Quoin strips; raised window and door margins. 2-leaf timber panelled front door in plain margin architrave to front; regular fenestration. Regular fenestration to rear with central round-arched staircase window; flat-roofed 20th century extension below stair window; 2-storey piend-roofed 19th century addition to right of stair window. Single-storey outbuilding containing privy and former wash house adjoining E gable.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows, 2 non-traditional uPVC windows to front at ground floor (see Notes). Ashlar-coped skews. Coped gablehead stacks with some red clay cans; corniced stack to wash house. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: half-glazed timber panelled lobby door. Curved stone staircase. Decorative cornicing to principal bedroom (former drawing room); plain cornicing to other rooms. Timber panelled doors throughout. Copper in wash house.
A little-altered traditional townhouse occupying a prominent position at the junction with Back Street, and of great value to the streetscape. According to the owners, the deeds date back to 1804, and the house is unlikely to have been built before then. In 1831 the house was advertised To Let in the Ayr Advertiser, and was described as containing a kitchen, parlour, dining room, four bedrooms and other conveniences. At that time it belonged to Captain Stobo, for whom Daisybank next door was built. The house is shown as the UP Manse on the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps. The rear addition was probably built in the 1870s or '80s, and the 4-pane glazed windows were probably inserted at the same time. The original windows would have had 12- or 8-pane glazing. The uPVC windows were put in with great reluctance by the present owners (2004), and they have kept the original timber sashes.
Other nearby listed buildings