This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7133 / 55°42'47"N
Longitude: -4.5148 / 4°30'53"W
OS Eastings: 242111
OS Northings: 649518
OS Grid: NS421495
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.F0RJ
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.MN9G
Entry Name: Dunlop House, West Lodge with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 3 March 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397933
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50080
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
David Hamilton, circa 1834 with circa 1905 and later 20th century additions. Single storey, irregular-plan gate lodge with shouldered, stone-finialed gables, canted bay window, advanced porch, and decorative stonework. Squared, coursed, stugged sandstone with polished ashlar dressings; random rubble to circa 1905 extension; rendered later 20th century addition. Base course, eaves course, eaves cornice. Raised quoin strips; long and short quoins to 1905 addition; raised, roll-moulded window margins.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: 4 bays. Timber panelled front door to right with simple raised architrave and strapwork detail above, in advanced porch with finialed gable and buckle quoins; 2 windows to centre (one blind); advanced gabled bay to left with strapwork detailing above window; blind wall to left (NE) return.
OTHER ELEVATIONS: piended-roofed, 3-light, canted window to left of SW (side) elevation; single window to right. Advanced gable to SE (rear) elevation with strapwork detail above window; piend-roofed later 20th century addition recessed to right with glazed back door.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: saddle-coped low random rubble quadrant boundary walls with cast-iron spear-headed railings above. Octagonal sandstone ashlar gatepiers with panelled capitals and conical caps.
A-Group with Dunlop House and Bridge. Built as the main Gate Lodge for Dunlop House, presumably by the architect of the house, David Hamilton. The Jacobethan strapwork detailing echoes the more elaborate stonework of the house. The strapwork on the original part of the lodge appears to be contemporary with it, but that over the window of the circa 1905 addition looks much older, and has probably come from another building ' possibly the previous Dunlop House. The central stack has unfortunately been removed, but is shown in an old photo in 'Old Stewarton, Dunlop and Lugton'.
Other nearby listed buildings