This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7131 / 55°42'47"N
Longitude: -4.5332 / 4°31'59"W
OS Eastings: 240955
OS Northings: 649540
OS Grid: NS409495
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F2K0
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.BNLL
Entry Name: 14 Lugton Road with Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 3 March 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397939
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50082
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1847. 2-storey, 3-bay former Free Church manse with hoodmoulded windows and small gabled ancillary building adjoining S gable. Coursed, stugged, painted sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings; painted roughcast to sides. Base course, eaves course, raised quoin strips, raised window margins with hoodmoulds. 2-leaf timber panelled door hinged at centre in double-chamfered architrave with hoodhould above. Regular fenestration. Small single storey ancillary building adjoining S gable (possibly former washhouse); door and window to W (front) elevation in plain margin architraves; decorative gablehead stack.
Non-traditional uPVC windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Corniced stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: tiled entrance lobby; half-glazed timber panelled inner door with frosted glass. Decorative cast-iron stair balusters.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: random rubble boundary wall to front; ashlar gatepiers with panelled sides and corniced caps.
Although slightly set back from the street, this house occupies a prominent position on Lugton Road, and is of value to the streetscape. It was built as the Free Church Manse in 1847, two years after the Free Church in Dunlop was built, and four years after the Disruption of 1843. It is therefore a relatively early example of a Free Church Manse. Its ecclesiastical status is marked by the hoodmoulds over the windows, which are very similar to those on the front of the former Free Church Building (listed separately). The hinged front door is a curious feature, and has been made that way because the entrance lobby is too narrow to allow a door the full width of the doorway to open completely.
Other nearby listed buildings