This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7124 / 55°42'44"N
Longitude: -4.535 / 4°32'5"W
OS Eastings: 240838
OS Northings: 649466
OS Grid: NS408494
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F256
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.9PQ4
Entry Name: 30 Main Street with Boundary Wall, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 3 March 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397946
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50087
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1876. 2-storey, 3-bay, T-plan, former schoolmaster's house with gabled bays to front and rear, gabled dormers and bipartite windows. Squared, tooled, snecked sandstone. Base course. Chamfered window openings. Central 2-leaf timber-boarded front door with fanlight in shouldered, chamfered architrave to S (front); bipartite window to left; gabled dormers breaking eaves at 1st floor; advanced gable to right with bipartite windows at both floors. E (side) elevation: blind gable to centre; fenestrated bay to right with gabled dormer at 1st floor. N (rear) elevation: advanced gable to left with single-storey gabled service wing advanced at ground; flat-roofed, 20th century extension to re-entrant angle; staircase window above; bipartite window and gabled dormer to right. Blind gable to W.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass glazing to S and predominantly 4-pane glazing to rear. Shouldered wallhead stacks with some short clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: half-glazed timber panelled lobby door with decorative frosted glass. Cast-iron stair balusters with mahogany handrail. Plaster ceiling roses in hall, and principal ground-floor rooms. Moulded cornices and timber-panelled interior doors throughout.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: saddle-coped random rubble boundary wall with spear-headed railings. Cast-iron foot-gate with cast-iron gatepiers; late 20th century 2-leaf gates to vehicle entrance
Formerly the schoolmaster's house for the adjoining school, which was built in 1876 following the Education Act of 1872. The school has been much altered, but few alterations have been made to the house, and it retains its original glazing. The house occupies and prominent position on Main Street, and forms an important part of the streetscape. Number 33, opposite, was the previous schoolhouse, and contained combined accommodation for teaching and the schoolmaster's living quarters. Number 30 provided an increased standard of living for the schoolmaster in terms of space, privacy and decorative fixtures.
Other nearby listed buildings