This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7133 / 55°42'48"N
Longitude: -4.53 / 4°31'48"W
OS Eastings: 241155
OS Northings: 649557
OS Grid: NS411495
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F397
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.DN2F
Entry Name: 17 Newmill Road, Struthers, with Ancillary Buildings
Listing Date: 3 March 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397956
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50089
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Probably early 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, remodelled and extended 1902, further additions mid-20th century (see Notes). 2-storey, 5-bay, roughly F-plan, former farmhouse with pedimented doorpiece, oculus window, 2-storey bay windows, gabled dormers, scrolled skewputts, and later additions to rear. Predominantly unpainted roughcast with polished sandstone dressings. Raised eaves band course and eaves cornice; corniced cill courses to bay windows. Raised quoin strips to earlier part of house; mullioned windows to front.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled front door with consoled pediment; key-blocked oculus window above. 2-storey, 4-light canted bay window to right with piended roof. Gabled tripartite bay window advanced to left. 2-bay later addition to outer left with bipartite window at ground and 2 bipartite gabled dormers at 1st floor.
W (GABLE) ELEVATION: lean-to, piend-roofed outshot at ground with windows and timber-boarded doors to W.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 extensions advanced to right and left of centre: 1902 gabled extension to left with single storey, piend-roofed outshot to gable; mid-20th century piend-roofed extension to right. Piend-roofed addition to outer-right, parallel to main house. Irregular fenestration; some swept-roof dormers breaking eaves; timber-boarded back doors.
E ELEVATION: blank gable.
Plate glass in timber sash and case windows to principal elevation; predominantly 4- and 6-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to rear. Rendered, corniced wallhead stacks with some red clay cans. Ashlar-coped skews; scrolled skewputts to earlier part of house. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: access not granted.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: circa 1902, former stable, coach house and hayloft with 2 vehicle entrances and 2 dormered doorways to hayloft. Gabled with plain bargeboards. Roughcast render. Timber-boarded doors; metal-framed windows.
Although this building appears, at first glance, to be Edwardian, closer inspection reveals a great deal of earlier fabric. The earliest map that Struthers appears on is the Roy Map of circa 1750. It is not shown on either Armstrong's map of 1775 or Ainslie's map of 1821, and is next shown on Thomson's map of 1828. This suggests that the farm remained quite small and unimportant until the late 1820s. It is very likely that the house was rebuilt or remodelled in the 1820s: this is corroborated by the pedimented doorpiece and oculus window which probably date from this time. Many of the farmhouses in Dunlop Parish were rebuilt in the early 19th century, but the pedimented doorpiece and oculus window indicate a concern with architectural display that is unparalleled in the other local farms of this date. The first and 2nd edition OS maps show the farm as a long strip (probably house and adjoining single-storey byre) with another building SE and at right-angles to the house, which had been demolished by 1910, probably during the 1902 alterations. The 1902 alterations appear to have been considerable. They included the addition of the 2 bay windows on the front of the original house; the 2-bay section to the W (this was probably formerly a byre or other outbuilding, and it is likely that the alterations here comprised a conversion to domestic use and the addition of the upper floor); and the gabled range to the rear of the house. The other (piend-roofed) wing at the rear was added after the publication of the 1910 map; according to the owner it was built in about 1949. The stable and coach house was built during the 1902 alterations, presumably to replace the outbuilding to the SE that had been demolished.
Other nearby listed buildings