This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.713 / 55°42'46"N
Longitude: -4.5489 / 4°32'56"W
OS Eastings: 239966
OS Northings: 649562
OS Grid: NS399495
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.F4Z6
Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.3N3P
Entry Name: North Borland with Gates and Gatepiers and North Borland Cottage
Listing Date: 3 March 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397957
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50090
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Annick
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1845. 2-storey, 3-bay, piended-roof house with piended-roof wing to S, forming L-plan. Random whinstone rubble with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, eaves course, blocking course, raised window margins and quoin strips. Long and short quoins to wing.
HOUSE AND WING: 2-leaf timber panelled door to E (front) recessed in plain, deep-set ashlar architrave with concave reveals; regular fenestration. Irregular fenestration to W (rear): central staircase window; recessed central doorway, now filled in to form window; false window at 1st floor to right. Wing to S irregularly fenestrated with some 20th century openings.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some non-traditional windows to S wing and rear. Corniced wallhead stack to S with clay cans. Graded grey slate.
INTERIOR: half-glazed timber panelled lobby door with frosted glass. Flagged hall. Curved stone staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters with mahogany handrail. Fairly plain traditional fireplace in N ground-floor room. Decorative cornice in former 1st-floor drawing room. Timber panelled interior doors throughout.
NORTH BORLAND COTTAGE: circa 1845. Single storey and attic 3-bay cottage with central filled-in doorway (now window) and flanking windows; 2-bay wing to S and 20th additions to N. Fairly regular fenestration to E; dormers to W. Random whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Some 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some non-traditional glazing. Ashlar-coped skews. Graded grey slate.
GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: sandstone ashlar gatepiers with 2-leaf decorative cast-iron gates to N of house. Coped random rubble boundary wall.
A late but nevertheless fine example of the 2-storey, 3-bay type farmhouse. It is known to have been built for Thomas Reid of Balgray, who succeeded to the Borland estate in 1842. Unlike most of the earlier examples of this type of house in the parish, North Borland has a piended (rather than gabled) roof, which gives it a much more refined air. It is likely that North Borland Cottage was built at the same time as the main house, probably as a farm manager's cottage. The only other example of a farm manager's house in the parish is at Mains of Aiket, where slightly grander accommodation was provided above a cartshed or barn. Like the other farmhouses of this type, North Borland originally had a U-plan arrangement, with byre ranges or outbuildings flanking both sides, although, unusually, the courtyard was to the rear of the house. The N byre fell down in the mid-late 20th century. A chimney stack on the N elevation has also been removed.
Other nearby listed buildings