History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

84 Main Street

A Category C Listed Building in Dunlop, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.712 / 55°42'43"N

Longitude: -4.5392 / 4°32'20"W

OS Eastings: 240574

OS Northings: 649432

OS Grid: NS405494

Mapcode National: GBR 3F.F16F

Mapcode Global: WH3PQ.7PRG

Entry Name: 84 Main Street

Listing Date: 14 April 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 397982

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50110

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunlop

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Annick

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Dunlop

Description

Later 18th century with later alterations and probably early 20th century addition to rear. Single storey and attic, 4-bay cottage with early 20th century bargeboarded dormers to attic and gablehead stacks. Random sandstone rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings; painted roughcast render to front. Long and short quoins; raised window margins. Central 20th century timber-boarded front door; 2 windows to left; bipartite window to right; 2 dormers to attic.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows; non-traditional uPVC glazing to dormers. Ashlar stack to W; brick stack with octagonal yellow clay cans to E. Ashlar-coped skew. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with 64-82 Main Street (even numbers), 86-92 Main Street (even numbers) and 75-95 Main Street (odd numbers). Although these cottages are not of outstanding architectural merit individually, together they make a valuable group of considerable character, forming the heart of Dunlop village, and providing an important setting to the Parish Church, which terminates the view at the end of the street. Each cottage is of fundamental importance to this historic streetscape. According to Bayne, these cottages were built between 1751 and 1782 on land that was formerly part of the church glebe.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.