This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9706 / 55°58'14"N
Longitude: -3.2139 / 3°12'50"W
OS Eastings: 324330
OS Northings: 675956
OS Grid: NT243759
Mapcode National: GBR 8J7.H5
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.L6R5
Entry Name: 41 Inverleith Gardens, Inverleith Parish Church and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 May 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397995
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50116
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverleith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Hardy and Wight, 1879-1881. Early English, I-plan church with 4-stage square-plan pinnacled tower to NE adjoining centrally buttressed N gable. Extensive redecoration of interior after fire by J R McKay, 1931 with wood carving by Scott Morton & Co. Snecked, bull-faced, squared sandstone rubble; smooth sandstone dressings. Base course; string course; chamfered plate tracery openings. Bull-faced quoins. Foliate label stops. Late 19th century stained-glass memorial windows N entrance. Small church hall by Hardy and Wight, 1884, linked to SE. Large hall by R S Johnstone, 1937 to S.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central buttressed 2-bay gable; 6 arcaded pointed-arched plate tracery windows to ground; two tall hoodmoulded, transomed plate tracery windows to upper gable; hoodmoulded pointed oval vent to gablehead; carved stone foliated cross finial. Carved pointed-arched entrance with colonnettes, 2-leaf timber boarded door to buttressed tower to far left. Semi-octagonal-plan 1-1/2 storey stairtower with octagonal spire roof and wrought-iron finial to far right.
E ELEVATION: tower to far right; 4-bay buttressed aisle with bi-partite pointed arched windows; 3-bay clerestory with pointed arched plate tracery windows. Gabled 2-storey advanced transept to left with 2 bipartite windows to ground floor, tripartite pointed arched window to gallery; porch to right re-entrant angle. Small hall (1884) adjoining to far left.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 5-sided canted and stepped apse projecting from gable end; chimneystack terminating recessed gable. Single storey blocks comprising vestry and session room set between church and large hall (1937) to S.
W ELEVATION: semi-octagonal stair tower to far left; gabled 1-1/2-storey porch to left. Nave and transept similar to E elevation.
Predominantly diamond panes windows; commemorative stained glass to lower arcaded windows to N; boarded timber doors with decorative cast-iron hinges and fittings. Pitched roofs; grey slates; plain stone skews; terracotta ridge tiles to small hall; shaped skewputts.
INTERIOR: oak-panelled entrance porch with diamond-paned glass panels supporting overhanging panelled gallery; 4 pointed arched plain arcades springing from large Doric stone columns; flying buttressed aisles; plain clerestory; depressed arches opening into transepts. Timber panelled and carved wagon roof. Raised chancel
with carved oak pulpit, lectern and communion table (war memorial, 1920); full-height pointed-arched opening to rear housing timber-carved organ.
SMALL HALL (1884): bull-faced snecked sandstone; margin-paned lattice windows; tall shouldered wall head chimneystack to E. Timber-boarded dado panelling to interior.
LARGE HALL (1937): 7 bays to S; 3 bays to W. Smooth cement brise-block base course up to cill height. 18-pane painted metal windows; pebble dash render; square brise-block porch to SE. Timber-boarded dado panelling to interior; stage to E.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low coped snecked rubble boundary walls linked to N elevation to E and W; rusticated, square- and octagonal-plan piers with ribbed domed caps surmounted by turned and twisted cast-iron gaslight balusters.
Prominently positioned at top of Granton Road, terminating the long vista. The church includes important carved fittings, including organ by John Ross McKay executed by Scott Morton & Co. in the style of Robert Lorimer (McKay trained in his office). Henry Hardy and J R Wight also built Mayfield Church, Edinburgh (1878) and Crichton Parish Church, Midlothian (1898). The original cost of church was £5,000.
Established as Granton and Wardie Free Church in 1874 and renamed St James's Free Church in March, 1881, this church was formally opened 3 June 1881. A fire occurred on 10 December 1930 (BOS incorrect), after which date J R McKay was commissioned to refurbish the church. The church changed its name to Inverleith Parish Church after union with Church of Scotland in 1929. The sanctuary was reorganised in 1959; the organ console was removed to the N side of the transept. These mid-20th century changes also included the commemorative
pulpit to Rev Dr A Cowan, also by Scott Morton & Co.
Other nearby listed buildings