This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8282 / 55°49'41"N
Longitude: -4.2173 / 4°13'2"W
OS Eastings: 261205
OS Northings: 661660
OS Grid: NS612616
Mapcode National: GBR 0VZ.5H
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.6R0X
Plus Code: 9C7QRQHM+73
Entry Name: 56,58 and 60 Main Street, Mecca Bingo (Former Vogue Cinema)
Listing Date: 9 August 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398029
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50139
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Rutherglen Central and North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John McKissack & Son, 1935-6. Art Deco former cinema composed of brick auditorium with pitched roof fronted by white faience-clad Art Deco entrance façade stepped up towards centre with abstracted Classical detailing and small shops to each side of principal entrance. Brick on steel or reinforced concrete frame with white tiled frontage.
DESCRIPTION: 4 2-leaf doors in recessed entrance below curved canopy to centre of principal elevation; small shops to each side; moulded rectangular Art Deco pediment above entrance with bracketed cornice and stepped central finial. Truncated fluted columns flanking to each side. Roughly rectangular auditorium behind with tapered rear end.
INTERIOR: Imperial staircase at rear of entrance foyer with Art Deco balusters and tapered columns flanking to each side. Curved ceiling to auditorium with large 'O' in cusped recess to centre of ceiling; stage with flanking columns set in curved proscenium; concave curved balcony with Art Deco mouldings. Staircases to balcony and projection room. Several pairs of original 2-leaf swing doors.
A well-detailed Art Deco cinema situated in a prominent position on the main road through Rutherglen. The arrangement of the entrance façade is very unusual with a clever use of abstracted classical detailing to create a modern effect. The original entrance doors and shop fronts have been replaced. The interior still retains a number of original features including the foyer staircase and most of the decorative features in the auditorium (currently used as a Bingo hall - 2005).
The cinema was originally built as an addition to the 'Vogue' chain, seating 1,750, but was bought by Odeon shortly after it opened. It is possible that alterations may have been made to the interior décor at this time. The Vogue was commissioned by George Singleton who owned a chain of cinemas of the same name in and around Glasgow. Designed by James McKissack in 1935 and was opened in January 1936, it operated as a cinema until 1974.
The practice, John McKissack and Son, was named after James's father, who died in 1915. From about that time James McKissack focused almost entirely on cinema design and built over 25 cinemas before his death in 1940, many of which were for George Singleton.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings