This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6787 / 55°40'43"N
Longitude: -4.0705 / 4°4'13"W
OS Eastings: 269901
OS Northings: 644749
OS Grid: NS699447
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.HCSK
Mapcode Global: WH4R8.FJWG
Entry Name: Strathaven, 8 Threestanes Road, John Hastie Museum Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 9 August 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398033
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50141
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Avondale and Stonehouse
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Lochhead and William Brown; 1915-1921. Rectangular plan 2-storey 5-bay rectangular-plan museum building in Anglo-Dutch style with central, rounded scrolled pediment to front and prominent dormers to rear (park) elevation. Cement rendered and painted. Painted stone dressings. High base course. Raised window surrounds. Stepped piended roofs with overhanging eaves.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Timber-panelled door in roll-moulded surround with carved signage over: (THE JOHN HASTIE MUSEUM) in moulded surround; window above and date stone to pediment (1915); flanked by pair of windows with blind semicircular panels over. Single small windows to outer bays.
N ELEVATION: 2-storey (front) block to right with single timber boarded door, window over. 2-bay rear block to left with single door, small bipartite window to far left.
S ELEVATION: 2-storey (front) block to left with single timber boarded door, window over. 2-bay rear block to right with single door, small bipartite window to far right.
W (PARK) ELEVATION: 3 wide central bays on ground floor, later infilled with panelling and steel shutters. Small bipartite windows to outer bays. 5-light flat-roofed box dormer.
INTERIOR: (seen 2004) timber block flooring. Tiled fireplaces. Timber panelled doors.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: coped squared rubble boundary wall with chamfered coping to Threestanes Road. Square-plan ashlar gatepiers with domed capstones and 'JHM' monogram.
PVCu windows. Stepped piended roof of graded grey slates; overhanging bracketed eaves Wallhead stacks with tall clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.
The John Hastie museum is a good example of Lochhead and Brown's work. The building exhibits good architectural detailing in its central, rounded scrolled pediment and stepped piended roof and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape in its immediate context. The museum is dedicated to the immediate locality of Strathaven, housing exhibits relevant to local history including Strathaven Castle, Covenanters, the weaving industry and the 1820 Radical Rising.
James Lochhead and William Brown were partners in the architectural practice of Cullen, Lochhead and Brown. This practice was based in Hamilton, they undertook work all over Scotland but were particularly prolific in the Lanarkshire area. Their work is characterised by Edwardian baroque and classical detailing and they were accomplished in a range of building types. Their work includes St Andrews Church, Motherwell (1903) the Hamilton Muncipal Buildings and Public Library (1903), and Tenements in Kemp Street, Hamilton (c1904) (see separate listings).
The building work commenced after the outbreak of World War I and took two years to complete. On completion a number of structural failures came to light. One side of the building began to subside and required underpinning. The tiles which were used on the roof were soon found to be inadequate and were replaced with slates. The museum was not officially opened until 1921.
John Hastie was a local grocer and farmer who died in 1889. Hastie left his estate for the provision of a public park and a building to house his guns and other trophies. A field known as 'Grierson's Holm' was purchased. The museum is sited adjacent to the public park. The rear elevation was designed with an open verandah, supported on columns, and toilets in order to provide a pavilion for the park. The verandah was enclosed in c1985. In 1916 the John Hastie Park was handed over to the council, in whose ownership it remains (2004).
(List description revised 2011).
Other nearby listed buildings