This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.5085 / 57°30'30"N
Longitude: -1.7834 / 1°47'0"W
OS Eastings: 413079
OS Northings: 846502
OS Grid: NK130465
Mapcode National: GBR P8YW.9NC
Mapcode Global: WHBQ8.KJZR
Plus Code: 9C9WG658+CM
Entry Name: Queen Street, St Andrew's Church of Scotland Parish Church Including Boundary Walls, Railings and Gates
Listing Date: 18 August 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398040
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50145
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Peterhead North and Rattray
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
1870. Plain gothic, broad, low rectangular-plan, aisless church with 3-bay nave, flanked and anchored by squat 2-stage entrance towers, simple unaltered interior and fine stained glass. Stugged pink granite with contrasting grey granite dressings. Base and eaves courses, band courses appearing as continuous hoodmoulds. Stone tracery and vesica to W, rose window to E.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Broad gabled elevation incorporating large traceried tripartite window and blind vesica in gablehead. Flanking towers each with 2-leaf boarded timber door at square 1st stage giving way to reduced octagonal 2nd stage with single lancet window and decoratively finialled polygonal turret roof.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: 3 large windows to side elevations with distinctive horizontal coursing.
E ELEVATION: gabled elevation with rose window in gablehead and low single storey vestry and church halls projecting at ground and clasping outer right angle.
Multi-pane leaded glazing throughout, some coloured, see below for stained glass. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: fixed timber pews and boarded dadoes, pipe organ, moulded plasterwork cornices and diamond-pattern detail at apex of roof (former ventilators?). Coloured figurative W window depicting the 'Sower', 'Lost Piece of Silver', Prodigal Son', Pearl of Price', 'Good Samaritan', and 'The Pharisee and The Jubilant'. First World War Memorial plaques at W commemorating fallen from congregations of E and S parishes; Second World War roll of honour incorporated in carved communion table.
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATES: dwarf walls with inset ironwork railings and gates; semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Formerly the East Parish Church which came into being on 27th April, 1836 but the congregation had been worshipping together since 25th September 1834. The current building was formally opened on the second Sunday in June, 1870. The preachers that day were the Rev Mr Stewart of Peterhead and Rev Mr Mitchell of South Leith.
Built at a cost of £1715 4s 5d with an extra £284 some two years later for the addition of a hall and vestry. A harmonium was presented to the congregation by Mr Anderson of the City of Glasgow Bank but as music was still not commonplace, the Presbytery 'after careful consideration, gave its sanction to its use' (p7). On 16th March, 1877, 'the decree of erection was granted, and there came into being the East Church and Parish Q S of Peterhead' (p8). A pipe organ was installed in 1902 with half of the cost met by Mr Andrew Carnegie.
The organ was replaced by an electric organ during the 1980s. In 1961, the congregations of the East and South Churches combined and formed St Andrews's Parish Church, and soon afterward a new pulpit, cross, baptismal font and lectern were added to the church.
Other nearby listed buildings