History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

14 and 16 Holyrood Road

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9491 / 55°56'56"N

Longitude: -3.1824 / 3°10'56"W

OS Eastings: 326255

OS Northings: 673530

OS Grid: NT262735

Mapcode National: GBR 8QG.VW

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.2QTP

Entry Name: 14 and 16 Holyrood Road

Listing Date: 30 August 2005

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398047

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50148

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Leith

Description

R MacFarlane Cameron, dated 1896 with probable earlier fabric to rear. 2-storey, 3-bay, roughly L-plan, Scots Baronial commercial building with central crow-stepped gable with wheat-sheaf finial. Snecked, rock-faced cream sandstone with polished red sandstone ashlar margins and at ground. Rubble to side and rear. Roll-moulded surrounds. Moulded cill course, eaves course. Segmental-arched openings to ground. Round-arched pediments to dormerheads. Wing to rear with late 20th century projecting stair tower at W.

N (street) elevation: symmetrical. Central pair of 2-leaf, 6-panel entrance doors with tall fanlights above. Central date plaque above with intertwined initials J and T (see Notes). Strapwork pediment to central 1st storey window with monogram RMC.

Variety of timber framed fenestration. Timber framed, 6-pane over plate glass to 1st floor with opening upperlights. 3-light over plate glass to ground with dentilled transom. Grey slates, deep skews. Coped gable stack. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 2007, but believed to be substantially altered.

Statement of Interest

This is a notable example of a well-detailed late 19th century minor commercial building by a prominent Edinburgh architect. It is the only 19th century survivor in a comprehensively redeveloped area south of Holyrood Road and is of significant streetscape value. The building was built for its owner James Tait whose initials are carved on the plaque at 1st storey level. This carving is typical of carvings by Cameron, who was also responsible for the tenement at No 9 opposite (see separate listing).

In the 1890s, it appears that a campaign to widen the South Back of Canongate involved the demolition of a number of buildings and Nos 14-16 was rebuilt on a new line. Most of the rear of the building is likely to date to at least the early 19th century.

Robert Macfarlane Cameron (circa 1860-1920) was an Edinburgh architect who output included schools, churches and public houses.

References from previous list description: City of Edinburgh Archive, Dean of Guild, 23 Jan 1896, South Back of Canongate. Town Plans of Edinburgh (1876-7) and 1893-4).

List description revised as part of Edinburgh Holyrood Ward resurvey 2007-08.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.