History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, 7 and 8 Balfour Place Including Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in St Andrews, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3369 / 56°20'12"N

Longitude: -2.7836 / 2°47'0"W

OS Eastings: 351653

OS Northings: 716330

OS Grid: NO516163

Mapcode National: GBR 2R.4QLC

Mapcode Global: WH7S0.6ZRG

Entry Name: 6, 7 and 8 Balfour Place Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 30 September 2005

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398062

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50155

Building Class: Cultural

Location: St Andrews

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: St Andrews

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
St Andrews

Description

Probably dating to earlier 19th century, 2-storey former sawmill/timber store converted to flats circa 1895 and to terraced housing circa 1948 by Gillespie & Scott, now 3 properties. Flat roofed with rubble to E elevation, harl to W elevation.

WEST (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: (nos 6 & 7) both 3-bay with central boarded timber entrance door with simple rectangular fanlight above. No 8, L-plan, single bay to left, projecting 2-storey piend-roof pantiled wing to right with

off-centre 2-leaf part-glazed timber door and string course dividing storeys.

EAST ELEVATION: 6 regularly spaced bays fronting directly on to Kinness Burn. Arched opening at river level at bay 3 now filled in, but discernible. 1st floor slated. Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows, those to East elevation with horns. Gable stacks, further stacks set parallel along roof.

INTERIOR: some chimneypieces with arched cast-iron registers extant.

BOUNDARY WALLS: section of rubble wall fronting on to Kinness Burn to left of No 6.

Statement of Interest

This building was a sawmill and timber store, part of a small complex of buildings (see also listing for Nos 4 & 5 Balfour Place) owned by Mr Balfour of Balfour House (see separate listing). Local knowledge has suggested that the arched opening, which provided direct access to the Kinness Burn and consequently the harbour, was used to transport the timber, although it may have had further alternative purposes. It was converted to housing circa 1895 and is a particularly early and unusual example of an industrial building finding a new use as housing. It is also an important reminder of St Andrew's manufacturing history in this former industrial part of the town.

The Dean of Guild plans show that by circa 1895 the buildings were in possession of the Bruce family and remained so when the Gillespie & Scott drawings were created. The undated (but likely to be circa 1895) Dean of Guild plan shows a forestair on the West elevation providing access to the first floor flats. A single storey washhouse is also shown to the left, but it is not known if this was actually constructed. The Gillespie & Scott drawings show that the original scheme was modified particularly in the treatment of No 8.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.