This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.939 / 54°56'20"N
Longitude: -3.9323 / 3°55'56"W
OS Eastings: 276308
OS Northings: 562193
OS Grid: NX763621
Mapcode National: GBR 0CZB.G9
Mapcode Global: WH4W0.K4P0
Entry Name: 210 and 212 King Street and 32 St Andrew Street
Listing Date: 17 October 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398081
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50164
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Castle Douglas
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Castle Douglas and Crocketford
Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire
W F Valentine, 1934-5. 2-storey, roughly square-plan tenement building on corner site at heart of Castle Douglas with very prominent, tall 5-stage octagonal clock tower at corner surmounted by ogee dome supported on thin Doric columns. Coursed granite with polished red sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course, deep cornices over fascias and at eaves; parapet; bracketed eaves cornice to tower; long and short quoins and window margins; stone-mullioned windows to 1st floor flats.
FURTHER DETAILS: shops to NE and SE elevations with original plate glass shop fronts with leaded-light strips above, glazed timber doors and black and white tiled steps; tripartite window above to NE elevation; 2 bipartite windows above to SE elevation. Clock tower slightly recessed between shops at corner with half-glazed timber-panelled door at ground and narrow lights at various stages; octagonal clock faces with Roman numerals to top stage; leaded ogee dome supported on pairs of Doric columns; weather-vane finial.
Timber sash and case windows with plate glass to lower sashes and small-pane glazing to upper sashes. Rendered stacks with yellow clay cans. Slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles.
This building is prominently situated in the heart of Castle Douglas at the junction of two of the main roads into the town. Its height makes it a local landmark and it is particularly visible from both ends of King Street. The clock tower is badly proportioned, but the building has been little altered externally and still retains its original glazing and both 1930s shop fronts, which is unusual. It was built as a replacement for the old Town House's steeple, which had been destroyed in a fire. It does not, despite appearances, seem to have been intended as a public building, as Castle Douglas already had another Town Hall. A bronze plaque at the ground floor of the tower is inscribed: 'The clock in this tower is the gift of Henry J Hewat of Paterson, New Jersey, USA and Castle Douglas. 6th May 1935'.
William Forrest Valentine (1885-1957) was based in Kilmarnock, where he built the Masonic Lodge on London Road and a number of other buildings. He was also the architect of many Co-op buildings across Ayrshire.
Other nearby listed buildings