This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8438 / 55°50'37"N
Longitude: -4.4219 / 4°25'18"W
OS Eastings: 248454
OS Northings: 663834
OS Grid: NS484638
Mapcode National: GBR 3K.4XHW
Mapcode Global: WH3P6.1CMW
Entry Name: 15 and 17 Marshall's Lane and Cart Walk, Kelvin House
Listing Date: 14 November 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398097
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50176
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Paisley East and Central
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
James Steel Maitland, 1937-9 and 1949 incorporating mid 19th century fabric. 3-storey, roughly 3-bay, rectangular-plan office building with Art Deco front elevation and 1949 1st floor bridge link to truncated section of 2-storey 19th century former industrial building. Rendered brick with sandstone and concrete dressings. Deep sandstone base course to front elevation of main building only; raised parapet / blocking course to all 3 sections.
FURTHER DETAILS: Principal elevation to E, facing onto River Cart. 2-leaf timber door to centre of main building in broad architrave rising from base course with prominent drop-keystone and corniced canopy forming shallow balcony to window above. Horizontal lights to outer bays of ground and 1st floor; horizontal row of 6 lights linked by bracketed concrete cill to upper floor; roof parapet with deep overhanging concrete cope, rising in 2 steps towards centre and surmounted by flag pole. Link building adjoining to left: shallow segmental arch at ground with 2-leaf iron gates to car park; gently bowed window to 1st floor with horizontal glazing and plain supporting brackets. Mid 19th century piend-roofed building advanced at angle to outer left with segmental-arched windows to 3 elevations. Regular fenestration to rear.
Fairly small-pane glazing in metal-framed windows, predominantly with hopper opening to upper sections. Grey slate roof.
A good example of the work of J S Maitland. The principal elevation faces the River Cart, roughly opposite Paisley Abbey, and is easily visible from that side of the river.
James Steel Maitland was one of the most important architects working in Paisley in the first half of the 20th century. He had worked as principal assistant to T G Abercrombie (another leading Paisley architect) from 1920, became a partner in 1923 and continued the practice after Abercrombie's death in 1926. He designed a large number of buildings in Paisley, which at this period were distinguished by their well-proportioned slightly Art Deco facades and bands of horizontal glazing. Other examples in a similar style are numbers 35 and 50 High Street. His most famous building is the Russell Institute.
The office building was built for J Kirkpatrick and Son, electrical contractors. The bridge link was added in 1949.
The arched-window section is the truncated remains of a mid-19th century warehouse or industrial building that is marked on the 1st edition OS map (circa 1864).
Other nearby listed buildings