This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7949 / 55°47'41"N
Longitude: -4.0564 / 4°3'22"W
OS Eastings: 271174
OS Northings: 657644
OS Grid: NS711576
Mapcode National: GBR 013F.LJ
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.NLLY
Entry Name: Bothwell Road, Gatepiers to Sewage Works
Listing Date: 29 November 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398108
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50181
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Earlier 19th century. 2 sets of rusticated and tooled pink sandstone ashlar gatepiers with linking quadrant walls sited at former entrance to Hamilton Palace estate, bearing motifs from the Hamilton coat of arms. Built on ground falling to N
MAIN (CENTRAL) PIERS: Greek-cross plan, base couse; string course; frieze with triglyphs at corners and Hamilton family motifs to metopes (five-pointed star, fleur-de-lys and rose); modillions to over-hanging cornice with 2 lion masks to each side; scrolled panels to truncated pyramidal cap.
OUTER PIERS: slimmer square-plan piers with identical decoration.
QUADRANT WALLS: stugged pink sandstone ashlar with cavetto moulding below square cope.
A handsome set of gatepiers at one of the former entrances to the Hamilton Palace Estate. Hamilton Palace, which was demolished in the 1920s, was one of the most important country houses in Scotland and these gatepiers are one of a very few remaining structures on its former estate. They were probably erected by the 10th Duke of Hamilton who carried out a massive programme of remodelling the Palace from 1822. The gatepiers now stand at the entrance to Bothwell Sewage works, and occupy a prominent position on the B7071, just South of Bothwell Bridge.
The 1st Edition OS maps show both gateposts and quadrants with an adjacent lodge. The Hamilton Estate plans also show a road and lodge / gatehouse here. A five-pointed star appears on the Hamilton family coat of arms, as does the fleur-de-lys motif, the latter especially in connection with Abercorn, Sundrum, Barnes and Grange Hill.
Other nearby listed buildings