This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6809 / 55°40'51"N
Longitude: -2.5662 / 2°33'58"W
OS Eastings: 364491
OS Northings: 643188
OS Grid: NT644431
Mapcode National: GBR B2JR.6D
Mapcode Global: WH8XJ.KG6T
Entry Name: Gordon, Manse Road, St Michaels Parish Church Including Graveyard, Gravestones, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Outbuilding
Listing Date: 19 December 2005
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398142
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50184
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
1763; 6-bay, rectangular-plan church with later additions of 1897 forming N aisle and interior remodelling. Sandstone and whin rubble; rough stone quoins; droved and chamfered window margins; advanced ashlar door pieces to outer bays. Decorative skew putts; lapped stone skews; timber bracketed overhanging eaves; stone bellcote to W.
SOUTH (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6 bays. Tall single pointed arch windows to central 4 bays. Advanced triangular pedimented doorpieces with round headed doorways to outer bays. Bellcote to left gable.
WEST ELEVATION: 2 bays. Advanced gabled aisle to right with tall tripartite stained glass window (c.1940) in dressed stone surround with metal grille. Stone bellcote with pointed cap; decorative skewputts; plain aedicule memorial plaque below window to left. Half-hexagonal stair tower to left bay with small service doorway in re-entrant angle; twin leaf doorway to outer angle; circular leaded windows to upper level; hexagonal pointed slate roof with decorative terracotta finial.
NORTH ELEVATION: 4 bays; double transept to centre with two-centred arched bipartite windows to ground, corresponding bipartite windows above. Hexagonal stair tower to far right, low lean-to vestry to re-entrant angle to far left with door to right.
EAST ELEVATION: 2 bays. Advanced gabled aisle to left with tripartite stained glass window. N aisle to right bay with later lean-to single storey vestry in re-entrant angle with 12 pane timber sash and case window. Low rubble burial ground wall, with cast iron railings and gate to left. Small square-paned leaded glazing to N and S windows, decorative stained glass panels to tripartite gable windows. 2-leaf boarded doors to S elevation; decorative cast-iron bracket hinges and handles, plain boarded doors to N. Pitched slate roof, lapped stone skews, decorative skewputts, painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: Nave (1763, with internal remodelling 1897): Boarded floors, timber panelling to dado height, timber window cills, timber pew seating with painted numbers, central aisle, stone font (1898) and carved timber pulpit to raised chancel. Laminated timber beams on decorative stone corbels, timber lined roof. Plain string cornice with decorative floral inserts. Later N aisle (1897): pews facing nave, W door to stair tower, timber-clad balcony supported on stone pillars with corbels forming two archways. Organ installed 2001 to NW cornerof nave formerly from East Linton Parish Church, by Forster and Andrews of Hull, 1895. Vestry: timber boarded throughout, small cast iron fireplace to corner. Stained glass panels to E & W windows depicting colourful pictorial scenes.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND MORT-HOUSE: whin rubble coped boundary wall to S with dressed sandstone gatepiers with stop chamfered corners, rounded stone capitals, decorative cast-iron gates. Drystone walls to N, E and W, rubble stone pillared gateway to NW. Small stone outbuilding adjoining N wall: stone walls, slate and plastic sheeting to pitched roof, small timber door to S gable facing church. 18th and 19th century gravestones to church yard.
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such. St Michaels Parish Church is a major example of a simple rural church building of the late 18th century. The later remodelling of the late 19th century included the new N aisle, raising the height of nave, and fine interior detailing. The church retains the earlier fabric of the 18th century building whilst appearing to be mostly dating from 1897. The stone bellcote is the prominent surviving element of the earlier church, the inscription on the bell made by Robert Maxwell reads: 'David Brown minister at Gordon ordered me to be founded Anno 1714 and refounded me 1725. R M Fec'.
The church and churchyard sit set back behind the main street of the village. Their setting is enhanced by the open glebe lands that remain, linking the church with the former manse to the N.
The church built in 1763 providing 450 sittings, but was extended in 1810 with a truncated N aisle, subsequently replaced by the new N aisle in the 1897 remodelling. It is believed that there has been a church on this site since the 12th century.
Rough cast cement render was being removed and stonework being repointed in lime (Oct 2005). This has exposed the stonework highlighting a previously lower roofline to the E gable, showing that the building height had been raised.