This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9658 / 56°57'57"N
Longitude: -2.217 / 2°13'1"W
OS Eastings: 386906
OS Northings: 786089
OS Grid: NO869860
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2H6D
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.X5HR
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ8M+86
Entry Name: 46 Arduthie Road and 2 Princess Road Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398225
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50247
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Mid 19th century, with early addition. Single storey and attic, asymmetrical 4-bay pair of semi-detached houses, forming short terrace, bays grouped 1-3 to Arduthie Road, with consoled and corniced doorway at No 46; decorative cast-iron brattishing to corniced, canted windows and some fine interior detailing. Dressed grey granite with finely-finished margins; snecked roughly-squared rubble to NW rendered to SE; dry-dash to NE. Eaves course. Mutuled cornices to canted dormer windows.
46 ARDUTHIE ROAD:
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; L-plan. Tiled footpath leading to centre bay at ground with part-glazed panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight under consoled cornice, canted windows in flanking bays; slate-hung, polygonal-roofed canted windows over outer bays flanking small pedimented dormer window at centre.
SE ELEVATION: rendered gable obscured at ground by modern garage.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration to projecting gabled bay at centre and single window to recessed faces at left and right, canted dormer window also at right.
2 PRINCESS ROAD:
SW (PRINCIPAL, ARDUTHIE ROAD) ELEVATION: single bay with canted window at ground and slate-hung, polygonal-roofed, canted dormer above.
NW (ENTRANCE, PRINCESS ROAD) ELEVATION: rubble end elevation, part gabled. Thistle-finialled, gabled bay to right of centre with 4-panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and pilastered jambs at right, single window to left and 2 small irregularly-disposed windows above. Lower bay at left incorporating single window at ground and full-width bipartite window at attic.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: altered elevation.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates, terracotta ridges. Coped granite ridge and gablehead stacks with polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low saddleback-coped, rendered boundary walls with square-section, rendered gatepiers, pyramidally-capped to SW and flat-coped to NW. Coped rubble boundaries to rear.
INTERIORS: No 46 with decorative plasterwork cornicing, ceiling roses; picture rails; architraved panelled timber doors. Encaustic-tiled vestibule floor leading to screen door with fanlight and hall with consoled and keystoned segmental arch; winding timber stair with decorative cast-iron balusters. Principal ground floor room with arched alcoves flanking slate fireplace with decoratively-tiled cheeks and cast-iron grate; timber fireplaces with horseshoe grates. No 2 with moulded plasterwork cornices; working shutters; timber fire surround with tiled cheeks; winding staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters. Ground floor telephone room with fluted architrave incorporating door bell, and part-glazed panelled timber door. Principal ground floor room with arched alcoves flanking timber fire surround with horseshoe grate.
These well-detailed houses are prominently situated on one of the main thoroughfares into Stonehaven. The unusual form and plan of 2 Princess Road, designed to fill an awkward site and respect the elevation of its neighbour in Arduthie Road, was conceived for the daughter and son-in-law of the owner of the six-bedroomed No 46 soon after it had been built. At the time of the 1867 Ordnance Survey map, the land opposite is shown as 'Maidavale', and the adjacent land is marked as a 'Saw Pit'. By 1923 there is a reservoir immediately to the north west.
Other nearby listed buildings