This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.962 / 56°57'43"N
Longitude: -2.2086 / 2°12'30"W
OS Eastings: 387412
OS Northings: 785663
OS Grid: NO874856
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2YXJ
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.18KP
Entry Name: 1 and 3 Bridgefield Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398228
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50250
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Early 20th century. Linked and characterful pair of 2-storey, 2-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed cottages with swept-roof canted windows, terracotta ridge details and finials, and Shavian stacks. Red brick with contrasting keystoned door lintels and cills. Jettied 1st floor. Timber transoms and mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bays each with canted 4-light window giving way to single window breaking eaves into finialled dormer gablet, bay to outer left with 9-panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight below small square window close to eaves at 1st floor, bay to outer right mirrors the above with replacement 9-panelled timber door.
S (BRIDGEFIELD TERRACE) ELEVATION: single window to left at ground and further small square window to centre at 1st floor.
No 1 with original small-pane glazing pattern over 2-pane and plate glass sashes and horizontal 3-pane glazing pattern to casement windows. No 3 with late 20th century tilt and turn and top-opening timber windows. Grey slates. Monumental coped brick centre stack with cans; ashlar-coped skew with block skewputt; terracotta ridge tiles and finials; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters.
INTERIOR: No 3 with moulded plasterwork cornices, panelled timber doors and architraves; decoratively-detailed cast-iron register grate, and tiny carved timber fire surround with deeply moulded over- mantel to 1st floor bedroom.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped and harled boundary walls.
This small group of unusual red brick cottages, apparently heavily influenced by south of England design, contrast dramatically with Stonehaven's sandstone terraces. The listing of Nos 1 and 3 Bridgefield is supported by grouping with 1, 2 and 3 Bridgefield Terrace, all of which are thought to have been built as housing for mill workers. The land was feued in 1902, and subsequently purchased by the Police Board. All of these houses are now (2005) privately owned. Bridgefield appears on the 1867 Ordnance Survey
Map as Munro Place.
Other nearby listed buildings