This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1774 / 56°10'38"N
Longitude: -4.3788 / 4°22'43"W
OS Eastings: 252427
OS Northings: 700851
OS Grid: NN524008
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.GS94
Mapcode Global: WH3MG.QZ1Q
Entry Name: Aberfoyle, Nos 1, 2, 3 and 4 Station Cottages
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398271
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50291
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
This terrace of 4 single storey cottages was built circa 1886 to house railway workers. They are located just E of the location of Aberfoyle Station (demolished), and their front (S) elevations would have looked directly onto the rail tracks (now a footpath). Although they no longer retain their original windows or doors, they are otherwise relatively unaltered, and are the last remaining buildings connected with Aberfoyle Station, the opening of which in 1885 had a significant impact on the growth of Aberfoyle due to tourism in the late 19th century. The cottages were intended to convey an impression of quality; the use of sandstone for all elevations, rather than the local whin, is virtually unique in the locality.
The principal (S) elevation of the cottages, which overlooked the track, is symmetrical; each of the 3-bay cottages has a central door with a shallow timber gabled porch, detailed with a terracotta ridge finial and a timber pendant. To the flanking bays are tripartite shouldered windows. The cottage at the W end of the row is very slightly advanced to both front and rear and is also the only cottage to have an original central lean-to outshot to the rear, and was perhaps intended for a more senior employee.
The side (E and W) elevations are blank; the simple rear elevations follow the pattern of 2 narrow windows to one side of the door, and a wider window to the other side. No 3 has a modern timber lean-to extension.
Access to the interiors was not gained during the 2005 resurvey.
Stugged snecked cream sandstone. uPVC windows. Out of character doors. Pitched roof with overhanging sparred eaves. 2 coped ridge stacks, 1 gable head stack (W), 1 missing.
Other nearby listed buildings