This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1845 / 56°11'4"N
Longitude: -4.422 / 4°25'19"W
OS Eastings: 249778
OS Northings: 701739
OS Grid: NN497017
Mapcode National: GBR 0S.G8LC
Mapcode Global: WH3MG.1TL7
Plus Code: 9C8Q5HMH+R6
Entry Name: Loch Ard, Cuilvona Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398274
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50295
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Cuilvona was built in 1887 by P C Morrison, a builder by trade, as a house for himself. It is a distinctive large villa with a corner tower, located on a landscaped rise above Loch Ard. It has features typical of the local villa architecture, including half-timbered gables and a Gothic detailed timber porch.
The principal (SW), overlooking Loch Ard, has 3 distinct bays; a canted corner bay with a finialled polygonal roof to the left bay, a slightly advanced gabled bay which has a canted bay window with a jettied half-timbered gable above. The central bay has stone steps leading up to a 2-bay timber porch, the right bay gable half-timbered with decorative bargeboards and the whole supported on turned columns with pierced, pointed arched lintels. To the left of the centre bay at 1st floor level is an architraved panel with 'erected PCM 1887 AD' carved in relief. Recessed to the right of the main section of the house is an adjoining single storey service wing with a half-timbered gable to the right.
The rear (NE) elevation is simpler, with the single storey section to the left and the 3-bay 2-storey section to the right, the outer bays of which have half-timbered gables. To the centre is a tall triple window at mid floor level to light the main staircase.
The SE elevation has double half timbered gables and central gable to the single storey wing. The NW elevation has a single half-timbered gable.
Timber and glazed door and screen with cusped-arched openings, separating outer vestibule and inner hall. Some original joinery and plasterwork remaining,some above modern suspended ceilings. Timber chimneypiece with shelved mantel to W public room. Timber ¼ turn stair with Oregon pine herringbone pattern lining to underside.
Random rubble with dressed sandstone dressings, margins and quoins; chamfered margins with rolled stop-chamfers. Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Pitched roofs, graded slates. Wall head stack to front elevation; gable-head stacks to SE, NW and NE elevations.
Boundary Walls, Railings and Gate Piers:
Defining the SE-NW boundary, a random rubble boundary wall; flanking the entrance drive, these drop down to dwarf walls surmounted by Gothic style cast iron railings. Convex sections of walls and railing then curve inwards, flanked by square-plan gatepiers with chamfered copes and wrought iron gates.
During the late 19th century Aberfoyle enjoyed great popularity as a tourist destination, encouraged by the establishment of a rail link to the village in 1882, allowing easy access from Glasgow and further afield. Around this time, a large number of substantial villas (almost all of which share a common design motif of half-timbered gables), were built on the road from Aberfoyle to Kinlochard; they were almost all used as second or holiday homes.
Other nearby listed buildings