This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4668 / 56°28'0"N
Longitude: -4.3181 / 4°19'5"W
OS Eastings: 257283
OS Northings: 732932
OS Grid: NN572329
Mapcode National: GBR HCQM.DSN
Mapcode Global: WH3L4.MQZ9
Entry Name: Killin, Main Street, Lynedoch Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398306
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50331
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Constructed in the late 19th century, Lynedoch is a 2-storey and attic villa with an integral shop (now disused, 2005). With its white harl and white-painted ashlar margins and quoins it is an individual in the Main Street of Killin. Its exceptionally broad gable combined with a bay window rising through 2-storeys marks it out as having a distinctive architectural character. The presence of the clock on the principal elevation is a rare example of a visual reminder of the original occupation of the owner - a clockmaker. Lynedoch retains a traditional glazing pattern and this is now a rarity in Killin. The good quality interior adds to its interest.
There is a deeply recessed single bay entrance section to the left of the principal (West) elevation. The entrance has a moulded doorpiece with a dentilled cornice and the 6-panel timber door is 2-leaf with a simple rectangular 2-pane fanlight above. To the right, under the overhanging eaves and within the broad gable are 3 bays. There is a bay window to the left to the ground and first floors. A band course separates the ground and first floors. To the right on the ground floor is the shopfront which has been subject to some later alterations. Above this is the round faced clock (currently not working, 2005), with a white dial with black Roman numerals. The broad gable is repeated to the rear (East elevation).
Good quality with fine joinerywork. 5-panel timber doors. Stair with Art Nouveau inspired cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. First floor drawing room with original balustered timber chimneypiece and decorative tiles. Decorative cornice and picture rail. The first floor room behind the clock has an easily accessible mechanism for adjusting the clock. The shop interior is timber boarded.
Harled. The white-painted quoins and margins appear to be red sandstone ashlar underneath. Slate roof. Timber sash and case plate glass windows with horns.
There is a coped rubble stone wall to the Northwest with a pedestrian gate.
Lynedoch has had a variety of commercial uses since it was built. Unfortunately the present position of the hands on the dial does not allow for a full reading of the name on it (H.HORWO?? KILLIN). It is likely that it did not remain long as a clockmakers as it is noted on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map as the Post Office in 1898-1900. It also served as the local garage at one point in the 20th century with the pumps on the pavement outside and is now used as a regional base for the National Trust for Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings