This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.422 / 56°25'19"N
Longitude: -4.6782 / 4°40'41"W
OS Eastings: 234906
OS Northings: 728750
OS Grid: NN349287
Mapcode National: GBR GCTR.3V1
Mapcode Global: WH2K1.3VJ5
Plus Code: 9C8QC8CC+RP
Entry Name: Tyndrum, Strathfillan House, Former Bridge of Strathfillan Parish Church and Manse, Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398310
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50335
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Constructed circa 1873, this former church and manse are particularly distinctive. The buildings are attached to each other with mutual access and form an H-plan. The manse is 2-storey and 3-bay and the church is 5 bays. Both in the Gothic style, the buildings have hoodmoulds and the simple buttressed church has mostly pointed arch openings. The manse has a now truncated machiciolated square entrance tower which is particularly unusual for the area. It is also rare to find an attached church and manse within the Church of Scotland architectural tradition. The manse retains some fine interior features.
The principal elevation is the South elevation and to the left is the manse. To the left is an advanced finialed gable with bipartite windows and in the re-entrant angle is the entrance tower with a timber door with a simple rectangular fanlight, above which is a simple bracketed stone canopy. Above is a single light window and the tower is now capped with a very shallow pyramidal roof. To the right is a single bay with a gabled attic window breaking the eaves. Attached to the right at right angles is the church. There is a wallhead stack to the West elevation, gable stacks to the North elevation and a ridge stack on the South elevation.
The (South) entrance gable of the church consists of a central advanced coursed sandstone pitched porch with a Celtic cross at the apex. There is a recessed 2-leaf timber boarded door with good ironwork. Above is an oculus window and the gable is topped by pitched roof stone bellcote. The entrance porch is flanked by a pair of narrow pointed arch windows. The house and the church have a base course.
The former manse has a simple good quality interior with fine joinerywork. There is a timber staircase with rosette detailing, 4-panel timber doors and a good number of surviving chimneypieces. The vestry is within the manse and provides access to the church.
Within the church the pews were removed when it ceased to be a place of worship. There is dado height timber boarded panelling and exposed timber roof trusses set on stone corbels. Simple coloured glass patterns the square leaded panes. The large timber pulpit remains in situ at the North end and is flanked by steps providing access with trefoil detailing.
The former manse is harled and the tower is white-painted stone. The church is harled to the South and West elevations and stone elsewhere. There are non-traditional replacement windows to the former manse. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Graded slate roofs.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS
To the South there is a stone rubble coped boundary wall linking two pairs of square stone gatepiers with pyramidal caps which are situated at the entrance of the former manse and church.
A photograph belonging to the present owner shows the manse and church in 1904. The tower is unpainted and has a tall slate pyramidal roof with a weathervane. The building ceased to be a place of worship in the late 20th century and is now in residential use (2005).
To the West is a former single bay rubble stable with hayloft above with a further recessed slated single bay to the left. The stable and hayloft are roofless.
Other nearby listed buildings