This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3572 / 56°21'25"N
Longitude: -4.3722 / 4°22'19"W
OS Eastings: 253529
OS Northings: 720844
OS Grid: NN535208
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.3FRB
Mapcode Global: WH3LP.TG6V
Plus Code: 9C8Q9J4H+V4
Entry Name: Balquhidder, Ardachaidh
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398311
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50336
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Probably circa 1870. 2-storey, irregular-plan gabled house with deep, bracketed eaves, swept-roof porch and log-effect stonework. Built as part of village improvements carried out by the local landowner, David Carnegie, in the same style as the church and school, with which it groups well. The house is prominently situated at the centre of Balquhidder, and makes a very positive contribution to the character of the village.
The house is roughly L-plan, with gables to the N and W. The entrance is on the N elevation, and a swept-roof porch fills the whole re-entrant angle. Windows flank the front door and at the ground floor of the N gable is a projecting bay window with lean-to roof. The ground falls to the S, and at the SE corner is a slightly lower gabled wing, which projects forward at the S gable.
Interior: curved timber staircase with barley-twist iron balusters and mahogany hand rail.
Materials: half-glazed timber panelled front door. Non-traditional tilting timber windows. Coursed sandstone, rounded on the surface to give log-effect; bull-faced ashlar quoins and window dressings; rubble base to rear (S). Coped stacks with assorted clay cans. Recently re-slated with graded grey slate.
B-Group with Parish Church, Former School and Schoolhouse, and Old Library Tea Room. David Carnegie had made his fortune from banking, sugar refining and brewing in Sweden, and purchased the Stronvar estate in 1848, where he rebuilt Stronvar House. He then commenced to make a number of improvements in the area, including building the school, church, and library (adjacent to Ardachaidh). Both the school and church have the same type of stonework: it is not known whether the log-effect was intentional. It is not known what purpose Ardachaidh was originally built for, although it was later used as a Post Office and village shop. An old photograph shows the house with mullioned windows, plate glass in sash windows and bands of fish-scale slating.
Other nearby listed buildings