History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balquhidder, Ardachaidh

A Category C Listed Building in Balquhidder, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3572 / 56°21'25"N

Longitude: -4.3722 / 4°22'19"W

OS Eastings: 253529

OS Northings: 720844

OS Grid: NN535208

Mapcode National: GBR 0V.3FRB

Mapcode Global: WH3LP.TG6V

Entry Name: Balquhidder, Ardachaidh

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398311

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50336

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Balquhidder

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Kingshouse

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Probably circa 1870. 2-storey, irregular-plan gabled house with deep, bracketed eaves, swept-roof porch and log-effect stonework. Built as part of village improvements carried out by the local landowner, David Carnegie, in the same style as the church and school, with which it groups well. The house is prominently situated at the centre of Balquhidder, and makes a very positive contribution to the character of the village.

The house is roughly L-plan, with gables to the N and W. The entrance is on the N elevation, and a swept-roof porch fills the whole re-entrant angle. Windows flank the front door and at the ground floor of the N gable is a projecting bay window with lean-to roof. The ground falls to the S, and at the SE corner is a slightly lower gabled wing, which projects forward at the S gable.

Interior: curved timber staircase with barley-twist iron balusters and mahogany hand rail.

Materials: half-glazed timber panelled front door. Non-traditional tilting timber windows. Coursed sandstone, rounded on the surface to give log-effect; bull-faced ashlar quoins and window dressings; rubble base to rear (S). Coped stacks with assorted clay cans. Recently re-slated with graded grey slate.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Parish Church, Former School and Schoolhouse, and Old Library Tea Room. David Carnegie had made his fortune from banking, sugar refining and brewing in Sweden, and purchased the Stronvar estate in 1848, where he rebuilt Stronvar House. He then commenced to make a number of improvements in the area, including building the school, church, and library (adjacent to Ardachaidh). Both the school and church have the same type of stonework: it is not known whether the log-effect was intentional. It is not known what purpose Ardachaidh was originally built for, although it was later used as a Post Office and village shop. An old photograph shows the house with mullioned windows, plate glass in sash windows and bands of fish-scale slating.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.