This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.385 / 56°23'5"N
Longitude: -4.2875 / 4°17'14"W
OS Eastings: 258864
OS Northings: 723757
OS Grid: NN588237
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.1NRM
Mapcode Global: WH3LK.3SM2
Plus Code: 9C8Q9PM7+X2
Entry Name: Lochearnhead, Village Shop on A84
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398327
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50344
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1870. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, multi-gabled house and village shop (originally village Post Office) with gabled dormers and canted window to advanced gable on E (principal) elevation, M-gable to N elevation, and deep bracketed eaves. A nicely detailed house and shop in the same style as Edinchip house, on whose estate it stood. This building occupies a prominent position on the main road through Lochearnhead, and makes a very positive contribution to the streetscape.
3-bay principal elevation with advanced gable to right containing shop. The shop has a large canted window with piended roof; the shop door is in the left-hand section of the canted window. The front door of the house, which has a later porch, is in the central bay and there are 2 gabled dormers, one larger than the other. The house has corniced gablehead stacks with thack-stanes.
Materials: local random rubble masonry with squared quoins and window margins; painted sandstone ashlar cills and chamfered sandstone ashlar mullions to canted window. Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. 20th century front door. Graded grey Scottish slate.
The post office was on the Edinchip estate, and is built in the estate style. It belonged to Lady Helen MacGregor, and several letters in the archive MacGregor archive refer to it. An earlier Post Office was located next to the old school, and is marked on the 1st edition OS map (1862).
Other nearby listed buildings