This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3241 / 56°19'26"N
Longitude: -4.3289 / 4°19'43"W
OS Eastings: 256079
OS Northings: 717075
OS Grid: NN560170
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.5KH1
Mapcode Global: WH3LX.G9VP
Entry Name: Strathyre, Monument to Dugald Buchanan
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398332
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50348
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
1883. Gothic monument to the Gaelic poet Dugald Buchanan standing on a circular base and enclosed by cast-iron railings. The lower part of the monument is composed of 4 short columns clustered around a central pillar: the column shafts are in red marble and the tops of the capitals were once small fountain bowls, but have been filled in. Above are 4 cusped-arch niches (one to each face) containing grey and red marble panels inscribed in Gaelic and English. The upper part of the monument is pyramidal and topped by a decorative wrought-iron finial. There is some decorative carving around the niches. A decorative monument to an important local poet (see Notes), occupying a prominent position on the main road through Strathyre.
Materials: sandstone with some red and grey marble.
Dugald Buchanan (1716-68) was one of the foremost Gaelic poets of the 18th century, and has been described as 'the Cowper of the Highlands'. He was born at Ardoch Mill, Strathyre and in 1755 became the Schoolmaster at Kinloch Rannoch. He helped the Rev. James Stewart of Killin to translate the New Testament into Gaelic, and published 'Laoidhibh Spioradail' ('Spiritual Hymns') in 1767. Verses from two of his works are inscribed on the E and W faces of the monument. The dedication is inscribed on the N face, and the S face, which is slightly eroded reads: ''There is not in any language truer poetry than that to be found in the Sacred Songs of Buchanan. It is undoubted that they have been largely blessed to the spirit [?] edification of the church of God' Rev D [?] T McLaughlan, Erected 1883 by public Subscription'.
The architect of the monument is unknown, but similarities to the work of William Leiper and Andrew Heiton have been noted.
Other nearby listed buildings