History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, 4 and 6 Bridge Street Including Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Callander, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2439 / 56°14'37"N

Longitude: -4.2167 / 4°13'0"W

OS Eastings: 262727

OS Northings: 707916

OS Grid: NN627079

Mapcode National: GBR 11.BLNX

Mapcode Global: WH4NH.6B96

Entry Name: 2, 4 and 6 Bridge Street Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398376

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50382

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Callander

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Callander

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

A row of 3 adjoined simple, 2-storey rectangular-plan houses leading downhill from the Main Street along Bridge Street towards Callander Bridge over the River Teith (see separate listing). Of good local historical value being probably mid/later 18th century in origin. The owner of No 4 believes her house to have been built between 1745 and 1746 for John McArthur. McAruthur was the Duke of Perth's Land Agent who is accredited with drawing up the design of Callander Planned Town in 1739. Thus due to the historical association of No 4 and all 3 houses forming an attractive grouping located in a prominent and historically important area of Callander, they are recognised at Category C(S).

Nos 2 and 4 are both symmetrically arranged with 3-bays, however No 6 is asymmetrically arranged with 4-bays set on the angle as the road bends to the SW.

Interior

Admission not obtained to Nos 2 and 6 at time of resurvey, 2004. Access gained to No 4, some historical features remain including timber panelled shutters and simple cornices, the house was refurbished in 2000.

Materials

No 2: Lined, painted render to principal (SE) elevation with painted margins. Timber panelled door with narrow letter box fanlight and slight pediment to doorpiece, modern uPVC windows. Pitched grey slate roof with a pair of modern rooflights. Coped ashlar gable apex stack to NE with decorative cans. Shared (with No 4) thick, rendered ridge stack to SW, various cans.

No 4: cleaned and re-pointed exposed random rubble 'pudding stone', painted raised margins to openings. Timber panelled door with narrow letter box fanlight. Timber sash and case plate glass windows. Pitched grey slate roof with ventilators. Shared (with No 6) thick, rendered ridge stack to SW, various cans.

No 6: random rubble with smeared pointing, lined to principal elevation to give appearance of snecked stone. Timber effect modern plastic door and windows. Pitched grey slate roof with raised coped skew to SW surmounted by a rendered gable apex stack with various cans.

Boundary Wall

Random rubble garden boundary wall adjoined to No 6 running along Bridge Street and enclosing plot to W and N.

Statement of Interest

Bridge Street is a historically important thoroughfare in Callander as it offers the link from the Main Street to Callander Bridge (see separate listing) crossing the River Teith. McArthur's map dated 1739 is held in the NAS entitled 'The plan of the New Town of Callander in Monteith belonging to his Grace The Duke of Perth'. Any building work which had begun was halted with the Duke of Perth's land being confiscated owing to his support of the Jacobite rising in 1745. If the information that the owner of No 4 is in possession of is correct, No 4 is in interesting survivor of Perth's planned town before it was stalled. A board of commissioners was formed, known as the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates, to take over the running of the estates of those aristocrats deemed to be subversive to the Hanoverian Regime. The Commissioners adopted the Duke of Perth's plan and building work commenced in the 1770s.

It is possible that one can discern a break in the line of stonework to No 4 just above the ground floor door and window lintels. This suggests that No 4 and therefore by association No 2 and No 6 were originally single storey cottages raised at some point in the 19th century.

From map work it is evident that No 6 has a fair sized plot of land to the rear associated with it.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.