History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bochastle Farm

A Category C Listed Building in Callander, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2421 / 56°14'31"N

Longitude: -4.2414 / 4°14'29"W

OS Eastings: 261188

OS Northings: 707768

OS Grid: NN611077

Mapcode National: GBR 10.BM3Z

Mapcode Global: WH3MB.TCGK

Entry Name: Bochastle Farm

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398392

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50395

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Callander

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Callander

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Callander

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

19th century farmhouse and steading, probably incorporating 18th century fabric (see Notes). The farm comprises a 2-storey, 3 bay farmhouse, a single storey byre and bothy range to the S of the house, and a long steading range composed of a 2-storey barn flanked on each side by single-storey byre and stable. This is a good group of farm buildings dating from the 19th century that have been little-altered in recent times. Several stages of development are apparent in the buildings, reflecting the introduction of 'improved' farming methods that were introduced from the late 18th century onwards. The 2-storey threshing barn with a man-made bank built behind it to give level access to the upper floor is a particularly interesting feature (see below).

Farmhouse: probably circa 1830-40. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse of traditional style with 2-storey piend-roofed wing to rear forming L-plan. Symmetrical E (front) elevation with later porch to central front door. Fairly regular fenestration to rear elevation with later bipartite window at ground floor to centre. 20th century lean-to addition at NW corner with half-glazed timber-boarded side door. Coped ashlar gablehead stacks. Interior: the interior has been largely modernised, some original simple cornices remain to the 1st floor, 2005.

Barn, Stable Byre and Bank: probably late 18th or early 19th century, incorporating earlier fabric. 2-storey, roughly 5-bay building to centre (see Notes) with 3 doors to central and outer bays at ground and 2 doors to inner bays at 1st floor of E (front) elevation; central door and slit windows to W (rear) elevation; 3 slit windows with stone ledges below S gable apex; 12-hole dovecot with ledges below to N gable apex; agricultural roof lights; roughly-cut long and short quoins. 2-bay stable recessed to right with 2 roof lights and raised vent to roof. 4-bay former byre or dairy to left of barn with bays marked by brick buttresses; slightly lower byre with vented roof to outer left. Large, roughly semicircular bank to W of barn with intermittent boulder retaining wall to perimeter; foundations of former horse mill on bank, close to barn.

Bothy and Byre: single-storey piend-roofed range to S of house. 3-bay cottage or bothy at W end with central doorway and brick ridge stack; byre at E end with vented roof, timber-boarded doors and various walled-up openings (see Notes).

Materials: random rubble walls. Timber sash and case windows to house with predominantly 12-pane glazing; 8-pane glazed windows to bothy. Timber-boarded doors to all buildings. Cast-iron rainwater goods to all buildings. Graded grey slate. Yellow clay chimney cans to house.

Statement of Interest

An early map showing Bochastle, drawn up by the surveyor John Leslie for the Commissioners of Annexed Estates in 1775, is well detailed and shows a number of buildings. None of the existing buildings seem to correspond to any on Leslie's map, with the possible exception of the long barn range. The 2-storey barn was evidently originally built as a single storey building, with the upper storey added at a later date. It is possible that the lower half of this building contains mid-18th century fabric. A map dating from 1830 clearly shows the long barn range with its horse mill and large bank to the rear. The bank, which provides a large area of level access to the rear of barn, is an interesting feature and was probably constructed at the same time as the upper storey of the barn: probably in the late 18th or early 19th century. The 1830 map also shows a building on the site of the present bothy/byre range. This may have been the original farm dwelling, however the present structure has walled-up windows and doors at the byre end, and is more likely to have been built as a row of 1- or 2-room farm workers' cottages. The present farm house is not shown on the 1830 map, which is surprising as the close-set proportions of the windows indicate an earlier date. It is likely to have been built very soon after the 1830 map was drawn.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.