This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1559 / 56°9'21"N
Longitude: -4.3636 / 4°21'48"W
OS Eastings: 253293
OS Northings: 698426
OS Grid: NS532984
Mapcode National: GBR 0V.J3PN
Mapcode Global: WH3MN.YJ8P
Entry Name: Finlarich House
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398405
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50405
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Originally 3-bay single storey and attic 1848 cottage, with 2 separate 2-storey additions to the rear, both later/late 19th century, creating a substantial sized house. One of the main features is 2 gabled bays to the front elevation with decorative cast-iron rainwater goods and decorative pierced timber bargeboards throughout. These latter features are not found elsewhere in the parish of Port of Menteith within the National Park. Situated to the N of Gartmore House (see separate listing), Finlarich House was originally part of the Gartmore estate. The building is set within sloping grounds with mature woodland surrounding extensive lawns.
Symmetrical principal (S) elevation with central door flanked single windows, those of the upper floor wholly in the attic. Original cast-iron rooflight to centre. Various glazing to gables, including arched window of drawing room in E gable, which looks over the garden.
The rear addition extends to full-width of house with higher roof pitch, various windows to gables and a shouldered wallhead stack to rear elevation.
Abutting this wall is a further, smaller addition (former garage, now kitchen and bedroom). W elevation - 1st storey slightly projects over ground floor with angled upper floor creating a covered entrance below. It is an unusual design for such a small, relatively hidden rear extension. Corrugated iron shed to rear of house.
Half-glazed timber panelled lobby door with tiled floor leads into a large hall. The plan form of the original cottage has been comprehensively altered as the house has been extended. Access to the upper is floor is now gained by a substantial timber stair with pine balusters and handrail set in the large hall and landing of the central block. The rooms in this part of the house, including the dining room, are of much grander proportions than those of the original 1848 cottage, with high ceilings and late 19th/early 20th century timber fireplaces. Timber panelled interior doors. Decorative cornicing, deep skirting, picture and dado rails to principal rooms. Timber working shutters.
Whitewashed rubble with dressed openings and quoins, rendered to rear addition. Timber panelled front door with 2-pane fanlight. Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows throughout. Smaller 8-pane windows to upper floors of gable and decorative glazing with central diamond design to ground floor garden elevation of original cottage. Graded grey slates to pitched roofs. E gablehead stack, this and rear stack are both corniced, whitewashed and with polygonal clay cans. Decorative bargeboards and cast iron rainwater goods, including hoppers, downpipe fixings and metal guttering with pierced detailing and fixings to principal elevation.
Originally called Gartartan Cottage, Finlarich House was built in 1848 as the factor's house for the Gartmore estate. This building reflects typical 19th century western Scottish architecture with its gabled bays and bargeboarding. However, since the bargeboarding is similar throughout, this would suggest that it was added to the house when the rear extensions were built in the late 19th century. According to the present owners (2004), it remained part of the Gartmore Estate until the 1930s when it was sold off.
Other nearby listed buildings