History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blairmore Farm Including Outbuildings and Farm Cottages

A Category C Listed Building in Cowal, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0084 / 56°0'30"N

Longitude: -4.9039 / 4°54'14"W

OS Eastings: 219049

OS Northings: 683298

OS Grid: NS190832

Mapcode National: GBR 06.TG95

Mapcode Global: WH2M1.N70R

Entry Name: Blairmore Farm Including Outbuildings and Farm Cottages

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398419

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50415

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunoon and Kilmun

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Cowal

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Ardentinny

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Blairmore Farm illustrates the continuing evolution of farm buildings through the 19th century. There has been a farm at Blairmore since at least the early 19th century, which was formalised and improved in the 19th century. During the late 19th century, when the Benmore Estate changed hands, the farm was further improved, with the erection of a number of outbuildings in concrete. Although some of the late 19th century buildings have been demolished, Blairmore retains a number of interesting buildings including relatively rare concrete structures as well as a formal farmhouse. The farm consists of a 3-bay 2-storey double-pile farmhouse, a number of piend-roofed ranges to the rear and a pair of concrete cottages.

The farmhouse at Blairmore retains an early 19th century house to the rear of the present farmhouse, visible as an almost separate 2-storey 3-bay block. On to this was built the front of the present farmhouse, more formal and mid 19th century, 2-storey, 3-bay with canted full-height outer bays and a central gablet.

Probably at the same time a number of buildings were built, forming a three-sided courtyard to the rear. A long stone-built range has survived parallel to the house, as has the short S range, now with a corrugated asbestos roof.

It is thought that most of the buildings were built in concrete in the 1870s. This includes a long S range, with a hay loft on the first floor, and a number of additions to the N, including stables, opening on to a cobbled yard. A large byre filled the new courtyard formed by the new N and S range. The byre, a timber construction on cast iron columns, has since been demolished, leaving only the columns.

In the 20th century the farm has continued to expand, with the construction of a number of corrugated iron sheds.

Interior: a number of features survive in the farmhouse, including an arched marble fireplace, a timber stair with cast iron balusters and original joinery.

Cottages: to the S of the farm buildings is a pair of semi-detached L-plan piended slate roofed concrete cottages with S-facing bipartite timber sash and case windows. The interior of the cottages was not seen during the 2004 survey

Materials: stone rubble farmhouse with sandstone dressings. Slate roofs. Timber inner and outer doors. Predominantly modern windows. Stone ridge-stacks and clay cans. Farm buildings of stone and of concrete. Predominantly slate roofs with some corrugated iron and asbestos replacement. Timber boarded doors and windows.

Statement of Interest

Concrete began to be used in farm buildings in the early 1870s. After the publication of an article in the Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society in 1874, use became more widespread. Examples in Scotland include those in Poltalloch and Sutherland estates (Wade-Martins, 2002, 136). However, the practice had all but been abandoned by 1890. A further two concrete cottages (now altered) were built nearby at Castle Cottages.

No buildings seem to be marked on earlier maps (such as Langlands, 1801) in the area now occupied by Blairmore Farm. On a 1839 (Waterstone) map several buildings appear, but this is obviously before the formalisation of the farm. According to the owner Blairmore Farm was the home farm for the Benmore Estate throughout the 19th century. When the estate was taken over by James Duncan it seems one of his sons acquired the farm. A number of improvements were carried out, including the construction of a system whereby hay was brought from the high meadows by way of an overhead cable, none of which survives (the owner, 2004).

The sheep fank to the SW is separately listed.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.