This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1642 / 56°9'50"N
Longitude: -4.348 / 4°20'52"W
OS Eastings: 254288
OS Northings: 699315
OS Grid: NS542993
Mapcode National: GBR 0W.HM5Q
Mapcode Global: WH3MP.5BRB
Entry Name: Over Shannochill
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398423
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50418
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64), but probably dating from the late 18th century or early 19th century. Attractive traditional 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with U-shaped steading behind, set on a sloping site in an isolated location to the SW of Malling (see separate list description). It is a good example of a relatively unaltered improvement period farmhouse and modest steading.
Symmetrical principal (S) elevation, with later central gabled porch flanked by single windows. Single windows on ground and 1st floors of E return. Ground and 1st floor windows to rear (N) elevation of house. 2 additions to rear elevation: substantial single storey with attic gabled addition to left with door and single window overlooking farmyard. Single storey addition advanced to right, with single window and door accessing the farmyard.
Admission not obtained at time of resurvey (2004). According to the present owner, when they bought the farm in the 1990s, the house was a shell, with only the exterior walls and the roof intact.
Whitewashed with painted margins to windows. Timber door with 2-pane fanlight to porch. Predominantly modern 12-pane timber sash and case windows, single rooflight to NE extension to rear. Graded grey slates to pitched roof with whitewashed coped gable-head stacks with circular clay cans.
Single storey U-shaped steading to N. Whitewashed with various openings, some of which have been enlarged, variety of rooflights. Graded grey slates to roofs, all of which are pitched except for SW gable, which is piended. Some cast-iron rainwater goods.
Over Shannochill was originally part of the Malling Estate, owned by the Duke of Montrose. There are a number of improvement period farmhouses and steadings all called Shannochill, located on a small hill to the N of the Forth valley and to the W of Lake of Menteith. They are situated close to an old road that ran between Malling to the NE and the Cobleland Bridge over the River Forth to the SW (see separate list entries for Malling Steading and Cobleland Bridge). According to the owner, there has been a building on this site since the 17th century. Blaeu's Atlas of Scotland, 1654 shows 2 settlements, one called 'Schenna' and the other marked as 'Chaill'. Over Shannochill appears as 'Shannachoil' on James Stobie's map of the counties of Perth and Clackmannan, 1783.
Other nearby listed buildings