History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Blairmore, Shore Road, Blairmore House, Lodge

A Category C Listed Building in Cowal, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9954 / 55°59'43"N

Longitude: -4.8956 / 4°53'44"W

OS Eastings: 219508

OS Northings: 681829

OS Grid: NS195818

Mapcode National: GBR 06.VB5Z

Mapcode Global: WH2M1.RKYR

Entry Name: Blairmore, Shore Road, Blairmore House, Lodge

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398438

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50427

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunoon and Kilmun

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Cowal

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Blairmore

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Blairmore House, of 1858, is one of the premier marine villas in Blairmore. This lodge is an integral part of the composition and the design corresponds to that of the main house. It contributes to the streetscape of Blairmore.

The small lodge, with a rounded corner to the road (SE) has a slate roof with a large coped central chimney, heavy rusticated consoles matching those on the main house and a concave moulded door surround. The symmetrical S elevation has a central entrance and flanking bipartite windows.

Interior: admission to the interior of the lodge was not obtained during the course of the 2004 survey.

Materials: harled rubble, sandstone dressings. Grey slate roof, stone stacks and clay cans. Timber doors, timber sash and case windows.

Statement of Interest

Blairmore House was built in 1858 for Hugh Highgate, a Paisley fish oil refiner. The Highgate family had a number of properties in the area including Mossgiel and Vine Cottage in Blairmore. It was they who built the Alliance Church in Strone (now known as Highgate Hall).

The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards.

B-Group with Blairmore House. The balustraded walls and gatepiers are listed with the main house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.