History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strone, Shore Road, the Boathouse (Former Dunselma Boathouse) Including Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers and Jetty

A Category C Listed Building in Cowal, Argyll and Bute

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9838 / 55°59'1"N

Longitude: -4.8982 / 4°53'53"W

OS Eastings: 219294

OS Northings: 680551

OS Grid: NS192805

Mapcode National: GBR 06.W3LP

Mapcode Global: WH2M1.QVRM

Entry Name: Strone, Shore Road, the Boathouse (Former Dunselma Boathouse) Including Boundary Walls, Gates and Gatepiers and Jetty

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398470

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50445

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunoon and Kilmun

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Cowal

Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Blairmore

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

This boathouse formerly served Dunselma, immediately to the N. Dunselma and associated buildings were built for James Coats Junior to the designs of architects Rennison and Scott in 1885-6. The boathouse is a part of a complex of buildings that are the ultimate expression of the conspicuous wealth of late 19th century industrialists. The boathouse is also important as James Coats is perhaps best known for his yachting exploits and this is a survival of the heyday of yachting on the Clyde. The building also displays good quality nautical-themed stonework, corresponding to that on the main house.

The boathouse is a simple rectangular building with a crow-stepped gables to the front containing a segmental-arched opening. The gable-front is carved with a series of stepped band-courses, ball-finialled skewputts and a rope-moulded roundel. The side elevations are harled, with sandstone finials and parapets. The original building appears to have consisted of a single space open to a timber-truss roof. The building has since been converted to form a home. This has resulted in flat-roofed extensions to the rear, the NE side and the front.

Materials: Sandstone ashlar to front and dressings. Harled stone to sides and rear. Slate roof with stone ridge. PVC windows.

Boundary Wall, Gates And Gatepiers: low stone boundary wall with chamfered copes. Square-plan gatepiers with ball finials. Elaborate cast iron gate. The stone and concrete jetty still survives on the sea-front.

Statement of Interest

James Coats Junior (1841-1912) was the grandson of Sir James Coats, the Paisley cotton millionaire. He was the president of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club and is known to have owned 16 yachts. Coats' main house was Ferguslie in Paisley (demolished).

The house later belonged to Walter Bergius (another keen sailor), of the Bergius Engine company, later the Kelvin company.

Little work by architects Rennison and Scott is known. It appears they worked mostly for the Coats family. J.A Rennison designed Carskiey House (1904-9) in a Scottish Vernacular idiom on the Mull of Kintyre for Kate Coats (Walker, 2000, 62). The only other known house by the practice is Cartside House, Renfrew, of 1880.

The complex at Dunselma included the main house with lawns to the front incorporating a tennis court, the stables and staff accommodation on the High Road and the Lodge, Boathouse and a large palm house (since demolished) on the shore.

B-Group with Dunselma, Dunselma stables and Dunselma Lodge.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.