This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9839 / 55°59'1"N
Longitude: -4.9035 / 4°54'12"W
OS Eastings: 218962
OS Northings: 680572
OS Grid: NS189805
Mapcode National: GBR 06.W2D3
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.NV6K
Entry Name: Strone, Shore Road, Tyneshandon
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398474
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50448
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Tyneshandon is a mid-19th century multi-use building which is a central building in the village of Strone. It is typical of the type of building found alongside Clyde piers and contributes to the group of buildings on the Strone shore. Tyneshandon, overlooking Strone Pier, is a 5-bay 2-storey building with a projecting gable front to the W and a cast iron columned porch.
Tyneshandon was probably built at around the same time as the pier at Strone (1847) and is likely to have been a tenement with services such as a ticket office for steamer passengers on the ground floor. The building has changed little since it was built, with 5 window bays on the first floor, those to the gable front hoodmoulded. On the ground floor , there were at least two businesses, one of which had the barleytwist-columned porch added later in the 19th century. On this front there are are a further two entrances. To the rear there are two doors, one opening to the central stair. The windows may have been lying-pane to both the top and the bottom originally, but the lower panes have since been replaced with plate glass on the front elevation. The eaves are overhanging to all sides, with the exception of part of the rear elevation.
The buildings to the rear of Tyneshandon and two lean-to porches on the rear elevation were in the process of demolition at the time of the site visit (August 2004).
Materials: painted squared sandstone to front elevation, painted rubble with sandstone dressings to rear. Slate roof with stone stacks. Cast iron rooflights. Cast iron porch with corrugated asbestos roof. Timber sash and case windows, lying-pane and plate glass.
The resort of Strone developed in the mid-19th century as a continuation of the development of the Shore of the Holy Loch which started at Kilmun in the late 1920s, when marine engineer David Napier feued a stretch of land. The pier at Strone was initially built in 1847 and communicated daily with Glasgow and Greenock.
Other nearby listed buildings