History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Buchanan Castle Estate, Summerhouse and 3 Bridges Along Cascade Walk,

A Category C Listed Building in Forth and Endrick, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0708 / 56°4'14"N

Longitude: -4.4804 / 4°28'49"W

OS Eastings: 245696

OS Northings: 689213

OS Grid: NS456892

Mapcode National: GBR 0Q.PFFX

Mapcode Global: WH3N0.4NQX

Entry Name: Buchanan Castle Estate, Summerhouse and 3 Bridges Along Cascade Walk,

Listing Date: 4 May 2006

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 398492

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50458

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Buchanan

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Drymen

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

This summer house, and 3 associated footbridges, likely to have been built in the early 19th century for the Duke of Montrose, form a landscape feature known as the 'Cascade Walk' along a picturesque wooded section of the Doghouse Burn. They interesting examples of 19th century garden building architecture. The policies of Buchanan Castle are included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland (Vol. 4, 291).

Summerhouse:

Positioned on the N bank of the burn, just below a small waterfall, the summer house is a small square-plan, single room building with a large round-arched opening to the gabled S elevation, allowing people to sit within and view the burn. The roof is barrel-vaulted within, but follows a slated pitched form (in bad condition) on the exterior. The summerhouse is built of random rubble; the S gable has an overhanging stone 'eaves' detail.

3 Bridges:

Located downstream at intervals along the burn between the summerhouse, and the Duchess Bridge (see separate listing), 3 small rustic hump-backed footbridges crossing the burn, each built of rubble with a single segmental span.

Statement of Interest

The burn used to be dammed upriver from the summerhouse, so that when the Duchess or Duke visited it, they could order the factor to release the dammed water to create a more spectacular cascade. Much of the dam structure remains.

An estate record dated 1817-18 (GD220/6/88) refers to a bridge to be built 'with rough stone like that in the Cascade Walk.

Buchanan Castle Estate was held the Buchanans from the 13th century until it was bought by the 3rd Marquis (later Duke) in 1682. In 1724 the earlier dwelling was demolished and a large new house constructed. Over the next 130 years, the house and its surrounding estate underwent several periods of alteration and development, culminating in the construction of Buchanan Castle in 1852.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.