This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7925 / 55°47'32"N
Longitude: -4.6424 / 4°38'32"W
OS Eastings: 234434
OS Northings: 658621
OS Grid: NS344586
Mapcode National: GBR 39.81QG
Mapcode Global: WH2N4.NNKS
Entry Name: Lochwinnoch, Largs Road, Saint Joseph's (Formerly Garthland) Including Chapel and Dormitory
Listing Date: 30 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398545
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50473
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Johnstone North, Kilbarchan, Howwood and Lochwinnoch
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
David King, 1796; altered and extended 1820-1830. 7-bay, 2-storey with upper breaking eaves, irregular-plan Tudor style mansion house linked to 3-storey, 7-bay 1936 dormitory block to right and single storey chapel to left, 1943 by Thomas Cordiner.
HOUSE: advanced gabled entrance bay with stone cross finial and prominent pitched roofed and arcaded timber and glazed porch; wide canted 5-light window with castellated parapet to right; advanced gabled bay further right. Pedimented breaking eaves dormers with fleur-de-lys finials and scroll decoration; tall, Tudor diamond-shafted chimneystacks. Advanced and recessed gables to S (side) and rear elevations with blind windows, pedimented and box dormers. Stugged, squared and snecked yellow sandstone rubble; raised ashlar margins and dressings; base course; banded eaves course. Coped sandstone skews; moulded skewputts
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows, some plate glass in sash and case windows. Pitched grey slates; lead flashings and ridge mouldings. Irregular ridge and gable end chimneystacks, Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fine plasterwork cornices and ceiling roses to principle ground floor interiors. Dog-leg stair with cast iron, ornamental balusters and mahogany hand-rail.
CHAPEL: Thomas Smith Cordiner, 1943. 6-bay, single storey, buff brick Roman Catholic chapel on E-W axis accessed via 3 bay, 2 storey brick wing linked to house to W. Central circular apse with conical roof to E; relief sculpture of Saint Joseph by John Mortimer flanking stained glass windows. External door at E end of S wall. Metal casement windows with glazing bars and hoppers; four spoked, circular wheel-window to gabled rear (W) elevation; slated roofs. Barrel vaulted interior; six side chapels; Art Deco pink and black marble altar pieces with mosaic panels; wooden pews.
DORMITORY BLOCK TO N: 8-bay, 3-storey, rectangular-plan hospital ward block and plain Art-Deco style. Prominent entrance and stair tower with long multi-paned window; 1st and 2nd storeys recessed. Coursed red sandstone rubble with ashlar margins; coursed polished red sandstone ashlar at advanced ground floor level. Large, multi-paned metal casement windows. Bonded brick wall to far left adjoining house at ground floor.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: 19th century workshop building adjoining house to rear, with walled garden and associated ancillary structures occupying ground to immediate West.
A good example of an early 19th century Tudor mansion featuring prominent, multiple diamond shafted, coped chimney stacks. The layout and detailing of the 19th century house is relatively unaltered, since later additions have not compromised any of the original fabric of the house which, although linked, remains separate.
Known originally as Barr House, St Joseph's was built by David King in 1796 for James Adam, who sold it in 1820 to William Macdowall, 20th of Garthland and one time Provost of Glasgow. William had completed the sale of ancestral lands of Garthland in Wigtonshire in 1811. He renamed the building Garpel, and then Gathland, extending it northwards (1820-1935). Henry Macdowall, 26th of Garthland, sold the building to the Mill Hill Foreign Missionary Society at which time it became the St Joseph's College for Missionaries (1935-1985), and then St Joseph's Nursing Home (1985-2004).
Thomas Cordiner (1902-1965) completed a number of Roman Catholic church commissions in Glasgow later in his career including the Immaculate Heart of Mary, St Margaret Mary's RC Church and Presbytery and St Thomas the Apostle (all listed category B). He was elected FRIBA on 11 January 1949. John Mortimer (1912-1961) collaborated with Cordiner on a similar project at the Convent of the Good Shepard, Bishopton, 1952.
Other nearby listed buildings