This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0136 / 56°0'49"N
Longitude: -3.6063 / 3°36'22"W
OS Eastings: 299955
OS Northings: 681240
OS Grid: NS999812
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.T5SV
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.K3YQ
Entry Name: 17 Cadzow Crescent, Former Nurses' Home Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398547
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50479
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
Dated 1911. 2-storey 3-bay simple Classical former Nurses' Home, now Barnardo's Day Centre. Squared and snecked tooled sandstone to W elevation with ashlar dressings, canted bay and porch, rubble to other elevations. Base course to W elevation, balustraded porch, stone mullions, overhanging eaves.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-central advanced flat-roofed corniced entrance porch with stone balustrade and round-arched openings. Below balustrade, lettering, 'OPENED 12TH OCT 1911 DUCHESS NINA NURSES' HOME'. Timber 2-leaf door with plate glass fanlight above. Above, single light window. To left, tripartite window at ground, bipartite to 1st floor. To right, advanced gable with tripartite canted bay at ground, bipartite above.
E ELEVATION: blank excepting later doorway at ground with slated canopy attaches to later monopitch harled extension to E.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows with horns. Grey slates. Large pair of wallhead stacks to S, single wallhead stack to N. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good. Wide corniced hallway with inner timber entrance screen with 2-leaf timber doors with upper panels with leaded glazing. Large sidelights, part-glazed and fanlights. Black and white encaustic tiling. Timber staircase and banister. 6-panel timber doors. Some simple dentilled cornices to ground floor principal rooms. Many cast-iron fireplaces with timber chimneypieces.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to W, high rubble wall with long and short coping. To NW, pair of square ashlar pedestrian gatepiers with near-flat overhanging caps. To SW, similar pair of square ashlar gatepiers.
Presumably constructed for the 1910 Infectious Diseases Hospital (now demolished) previously situated some distance to the SW. Duchess Nina Hamilton (1878-1951) was the wife of the 13th Duke of Hamilton and a local benefactress.
The Nurses' Home is near-intact and is an interesting part of the social history of Bo'ness as well as contributing positively to the streetscape in Cadzow Crescent.
Other nearby listed buildings