This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0111 / 56°0'39"N
Longitude: -3.6106 / 3°36'38"W
OS Eastings: 299680
OS Northings: 680965
OS Grid: NS996809
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.TBTR
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.H5WN
Entry Name: 109 and 111 Dean Road and 43, 45 and 47 Linlithgow Road, Seaforth Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398554
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50484
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
Matthew Steele, dated 1909. Distinctive, tailored 2-storey, 6-bay, L-plan canted flatted block on prominent corner site. Dry-dash with bull-faced and ashlar dressings. Eaves cornice and blocking course forming parapet with regularly articulated small square 5-part openings. Moulded doorways; stone mullions. Recessed entrances with deck access timber-braced balconies to upper floors.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 2 angled bays to centre each with advanced square-plan tripartite window to each floor, those to 1st floor flanking relief carved stone with 'SEAFORTH 1909'. Flanking recessed entrance bays each with centre door between small bipartite windows (those to right, Linlithgow Road, now single light). Simple square piers with chunky railings to ground floor entrances, and railed steps with squat buttressed piers leading to 1st floor. Advanced outer bays with bipartite window to each floor (those to right altered to single windows).
Mixture of modern and original glazing. Original timber sash and case windows, margined top sash with central plain stained glass panel over 2-pane. Single original door to upper left, timber with small tripartite glazed openings to upper half. Grey slates with red ridge tiles. Central near-ridge stacks, pair of stacks to N and S elevations.
INTERIOR: not seen (2004).
BOUNDARY WALLS: to N and W, sandstone rubble wall with flat coping.
A prominently sited corner block that is distinctly Steele in style but evidently inspired by continental models in public housing. It is well-detailed and cleverly designed to use the corner site to maximum impact. Idiosyncratic touches lift it above the commonplace and make it one of notable local architect Steele's more successful smaller housing compositions.
Other nearby listed buildings