This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0142 / 56°0'51"N
Longitude: -3.5899 / 3°35'23"W
OS Eastings: 300980
OS Northings: 681280
OS Grid: NT009812
Mapcode National: GBR 1S.T3GS
Mapcode Global: WH5R2.T3Q8
Entry Name: Grange Loan, Grange School Including Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398560
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50487
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Bo'ness and Blackness
Traditional County: West Lothian
H & D Barclay, dated 1906 with late 20th century addition to E. 2-storey and 3-storey and basement Free Renaissance with Art Nouveau details primary school. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble. Base course, stone mullioned and transomed bipartite and tripartite windows, segmental and pedimented and pitched gableheads. Fleche.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay with stepped ashlar lettering between ground and 1st floors, 'GRANGE BO'NESS AND CARRIDEN SCHOOL BOARD SCHOOL. Pedimented gableheads to inner 2 bays, segmental to outer bays. Mirrored to left and right, 3-storey (with basement to left to accommodate slope of site) advanced stair tower dated 1906 with advanced single storey doorpiece with round-arched opening inscribed, 'BOYS' and 'GIRLS'.
S ELEVATION: mirrored with N elevation except N elevation has deep basement. 8-bay with 3-storey canted flat-roofed stair tower to far left with tripartite windows. To right, regular bays with pitched gableheads with half-timbering detail at apex at bays 3, 5 and 7. To far right, concrete late 20th century addition.
Predominantly modern glazing. Modern red roof tiles. Cast-iron rainwater goods with hoppers. Decorative ridge fleche to W elevation.
INTERIOR: good plan and decorative scheme, arranged round top-lit central hall. Roof with cast-iron trusses springing from stone corbels. Cast-iron railing to 1st floor. Cream and black tiled stairwells with timber staircases. Some timber dado panelling, timber doors with glazed upper panels and glazed fanlights. Some glazed screens between classrooms with sliding panels. To stairwell and 1st floor, fixed didactic cabinets donated by contemporary British companies showing wares or teaching aids, including James Coats of Paisley, Nobel's Explosive's Company Ltd, Glasgow, and pencil makers, L & C Hardtmuth.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: high rubble wall with flat coping to S. To W and N, coursed rubble stepped wall with gabled coping and railings. Pairs of simple square gatepiers with flat caps inscribed, 'GIRLS' to W and, 'BOYS' to N. Further square pier to NW.
A good example of a centrally planned board school with a near-intact interior. Of particular interest are the fixed cabinets of wares and teaching aids donated by British companies. Grange School is situated on an elevated site and is a prominent feature of eastern Bo'ness. A fine example of the work of H & D Barclay. The plans are dated 3rd October 1905.
Other nearby listed buildings