This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2745 / 56°16'28"N
Longitude: -2.6096 / 2°36'34"W
OS Eastings: 362350
OS Northings: 709284
OS Grid: NO623092
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z.8MN5
Mapcode Global: WH8TL.WKJ7
Plus Code: 9C8V79FR+R5
Entry Name: Passive Defence Shelter
Listing Name: Crail Airfield, Technical Area, Passive Defence Shelters, No 62350 09284 and No 62366 09311
Listing Date: 25 August 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398852
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50567
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: East Neuk and Landward
Traditional County: Fife
The monument comprises the remains of a chapel dedicated to St Mary. Although the first known mention of the chapel occurs in 1604, it is likely to be pre-Reformation in origin. The monument lies in a copse of deciduous trees on a natural terrace on the E face of an unnamed hill, at around 125m above sea level, and around 900m north of the Meldrum House Hotel.
The chapel survives as a simple, single-cell rectangular structure that measures around 12.5m E-W by around 7m transversely over walls of around 1m in thickness and standing to a height of 0.5m. Inner and outer facing stones are visible on all sides of the structure, but the location of the entrance, which may have been in the S wall, is not visible. In 1845 a baptismal font was noted on the site, but this is no longer visible, either having been buried or removed. Of the two wells associated with this chapel, both marked on the OS 1st Edition mapping, the 'Lady's Well' is believed to be the well located around 9.5m SSE of the chapel and now covered by a modern capping. The OS described it in 1969 as a small natural spring lined with stones. The 'Laird's Well', located to the E of the chapel on 1st Edition mapping, is no longer visible. The area surrounding the chapel is defined by a low bank and wall, which may indicate the boundary of an alleged burial ground; there is no visible evidence of any burials.
The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan, bounded by the edge of the potential burial ground, to include the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found, as shown in red on the accompanying map. Specifically excluded is the modern cap of the Lady's Well and the modern pump house 19m to the WSW of the chapel, to allow for their maintenance.